Security Installer Community

Getting Qualified

An Engineer

An Engineer

The NICEIC only require the 2361 (16th Edition Regs) examples of 2 minor Works (fused Spurs etc. Once this is done they will assess you test the addition to the circuit, ask a few Questions. If all Ok- you may then work anywhere you like. Industry may specify full NICeic, however most dont. Domestic (Part P)requires certification (route above is acceptable)

I would suggest completing the 2391 _Inspection & Testing also as a bare minimum.

good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
cheers Ian, didnot know this. Will be trying to get as much qualification as I can over the coming years- may as well!

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

• 2 months later...

Started the course but we've been told that the college was misinformed abou CG2330 and it will in fact be a 2 year course. Thats another £350 for next year!!

Then they added insult to injury by saying these two years are level 2. A further two years will need to be spent on level 3 and then two more years on an NVQ. I was fuming as you could imagine. Anyway when I contacted Napit, they said it sounded like the college was trying to sell me extra courses and jsut to do CG2330 level 2, then 2361 followed by 2391 as Ian mentioned.

So its an extra year anyway, but thats not too bad.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

Started the course but we've been told that the college was misinformed abou CG2330 and it will in fact be a 2 year course. Thats another £350 for next year!!

Then they added insult to injury by saying these two years are level 2. A further two years will need to be spent on level 3 and then two more years on an NVQ. I was fuming as you could imagine. Anyway when I contacted Napit, they said it sounded like the college was trying to sell me extra courses and jsut to do CG2330 level 2, then 2361 followed by 2391 as Ian mentioned.

So its an extra year anyway, but thats not too bad.

71194[/snapback]

Same here, just started 2330 at a local collage ,there running 4 classs 2 nights a week each class with 32 peaple,apart from 2 of us every one else in our class is from a non electrial background all hoping to get jobs in the industry when they finish the course.It makes you wonder if any of them ever will there not much pratical content on the course and with no experence in the trade i wouldn't like to be in their positon.

• 1 month later...
Guest johnburger
Does anyone know how I can currently get qualified as an electrician?

I phoned NICEIC for advice and they said to go to a tech college and take C&G 2360 Electrical Installation. I phoned my local college but they said they no longer did that course. The tutor said the course I needed depended on who I wanted to register with once qualified and that there was much confusion over Part P registration. Anyway, he suggested C&G 2330 for 12 months, then 16th edition and then a domestic installer sheme after that.

I then looked on a website all about getting qualified and that suggested NVQ.

Also, having not worked for an electrical contracting company (I'm an intruder alarm engineer) would I need to take NVQ 1+2 for two years before doing NVQ 3?

I could do with finding out for sure what route to take as colleges will be enrolling next month.

I am a registered contractor and chose to join NAPIT. They seem to be the most helpfull of the regulatory bodies and will talk to you about your current experience and what you want to do. Then they will suggest the courses you need to do they run the full set, it is not as hard as you think. If you are looking for experience and live in London then contact me.

johnburger@iname.com

Guest johnburger
This is something that I've also been looking into. As far as I can work out, there's no legal requirement for formal qualification (apart from the Part P issue for domestics), just that you need to be competent.

Many customers will however ask for a NIC-EIC certificate after completing your work (there are other certification bodies as well).

Look up on thier website and it seems that if you don't have any formal qualifications but do have an electrical background then you need to gain two certificates to be deemed qualified.

C&G 2390 and C&G 2391

Many colleges do courses for these over about 10 weeks but I found this place: www.langcet.co.uk in the midlands who do a 5 day course and C&G 2380 exam and a 2 day course and C&G 2391 exam.

If I've understood it right, I could be a fully fledged sparks in a couple of weeks!

Please correct me if I'm wrong before I waste any money.

I don't know your experience but I have been an electrical contractor for 3o years and I am still learning, I regularly come across unusual and new situations and phone up for tech support so do not expect 2 weeks of college to make you an electrician. 3 years is more like it and then supervised by someone who has been out in the field for 20 years. Sorry for the bad news but there are no shortcuts to experience.

With part P you do need to be qualified and assessed by one of the self certification schemes. I don't know about the JIB requirements but if you can show competence then c&g2381 is the wiring regs and 2391 is the testing and inspection both of which are needed to be able to self certify for part P.

I dont mind doing the three years total to get NVQ12+3 or C&G2360/2330. Question is which one? Also I need to know soon as enrolment starts June and if I miss this years then its another wasted year. Obviously if I can miss the first two years and jump straight into the final then all the better but I'm being told different stories. This need to be something I can gain without working in the electrical industry whilst learning. I've bee in the alarm trade for years and do have some knowledge to do electrics but need the qualifications.

The best people to help you are Napit they will help you design a route into the industry phone 01623 811 483.

• 2 months later...
cheers for the info John. Only just noticed your post. I checked with Napit after starting my course in September and they were very helpful. I live in Oldham so Londons too far but thanks for the offer.

Service Engineer

• 3 months later...

Hello Chaps

I know im carrying on from an old topic, but just to clarify as long as you do the job to the standards(16th ed on site guide) then that is acceptable (apart from part p)

Do any of you in the know predict that part p rules will be extended accross all elcectrical work ala corgi?

Warren Salmons

6th Sense Security Ltd

Norwich

• 2 months later...

Its got very confused on this subject with people quoting C&G numbers like 2391 etc.

My understanding, as an electrical engineer.... is that you need to be deemed competent to become a registered electrician. Qulaification is a different matter!!!!

It used to be C&G236 part 1 and 2, probably now replaced with NVQ this that and the other !!!

From there you need to ensure that you have 16th edition qualification, C&G2381. Try to make sure it is also to the latest amendment of the IEE wiring regs, AMD 3 currently.

If you want to go in to Fixed Installation Testing then you need C&G2391 part 1.

Electrical Design and Verification (old 2400) is now C&G2391 part 2. I wouldnt suggest you need to go this far though.

If you want to do PAT testing then you need C&G2377

For the BEST advice, I would check out who is your local NICEIC inspector, it may very well be a chap called Dave Colley who covers stockport and some of manchester area. They will advise as to what they would be looking for. After all, it is the NICEIC you need to obtain part P from anyway to allow you to work on deomestic installations.

I did all my training at Stockport college and they are VERY good.

There are lots of other training providers about too who do fast track type courses, without cutting the corners !

Give me a shout if I can help you any further.

Hope that helps. Thanks

Billy

Solutions4CCTV

Keeping an eye on your property

• 4 months later...

Hi i no this topic has been running for ages now but i tried to enrol on the college course 2330 last enrolement time and it was jam packed at nearly every college i rang, have been looking round since for companys or colleges that do any fast track courses.

I can get on the job experience and am not bothered about paying for the courses. does anyone know of any places which do this?? Im based in manchester. would be a big help thanks

Archived