Security Installer Community

Getting Qualified

An Engineer

You can sub-contract without the qualifications, I do. ;)

53171[/snapback]

Has anyone EVER been asked to show their CS card. Another unworkable scheme, Contractors need trades and as long as you can deliver the goods, no one cares about schemes. I have said this before "qualifications get you an interview"

Jef

Customers!

Has anyone EVER been asked to show their CS card. Another unworkable scheme, Contractors need trades and as long as you can deliver the goods, no one cares about schemes. I have said this before "qualifications get you an interview"

Jef

53196[/snapback]

We share our building with a metal fabricator, and the Owner says he cant get site insurance and the forman wont let them on site without CS cards (they have an in-house sparkie)

Mind you - coming from liverpool, he might have said CS spray :roflmao:

Guest IM_Alarms

:roflmao:

It is true that you need to complete some 'on site' work for your NVQ's, but most electrical firms are desperate for labour, so just put yourself about. The college can help with this as people come to them to pick the best students that haven't got a job yet. The electrical course is becoming the 2330 this year, which replaces the 2360 (i think someone mentioned this already). There is continual assessment with this rather than multi-guess at the end like 2360. I have two trainees starting this course this year too, so I have had to catch up recently on all the changes.

Good Luck ;)

Has anyone EVER been asked to show their CS card.

53196[/snapback]

We had a big mad panic a couple of years ago when I was working for some else as some clients wanted to see CS cards. We did the course, but I never saw my card and to this day have never seen a real CS card or ever been asked for mine, which I haven't got.

So it would seem that I am unable to get qualified as an electrician whilst working as an intruder service engineer?

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

Guest IM_Alarms

you can do 2330 without getting any experience, the NVQ bit is to show that you have experience. Employers know that it takes more than a piece of paper to be able to do the work. My guys are doing two evenings at college for 3 years to get 2330, you could do that then get a job in the electrical field. You'd just start on basic wages for a while until you have more experience. :yes:

Thats fine. I'll enquire about the C&G 2330 then as opposed to the NVQ. As stated earlier I want to be able to do electrical work should I decide to go self employed with alarms, so I've no desire to go working for an electrical firm.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

• 1 month later...

Just enrolled at college for the C&G2330 last week. I got there at 10am on the first day of enrollment and the course was already half full. Lucky I went when I did.

Anyway, it was supposed t be a 2 year course but they've crammed it all in to one year which is a bonus, more to do but soon done with.

Next year I'll do the domestic installers course and then 16 edition. Money well spent I think and looking forward to going back to school.

Service Engineer

Good stuff.

Just looking at courses myself recently to bring me up to date for possible future approval, although I might hang fire on that for a bit.

All the advice here has been good, first step has been made, you recognise you need training. However I suggest you stay away from being self employed from the electrical side until you have a bit of experience there.Yes be self employed using your alarm experience but you have a chance of losing everything from a faulty electrical install just because you didnt want to let anyone down and it paid well.

Cover thine backside at all times :ninja:

Bri

trade.gif

Archived