Security Installer Community

BT

Paul Giles

Just a thought, i seemed to remember reading somewhere it was an offence to 'tap' into phone cables or add sockets in properties and only an official BT engineer is authorised to do so?

Might be way off but it did say a big fine would be imposed if caught?

Policed as well as Part P?

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

I would very much doubt it. Seeing as BT haved mastered the art of running cables without using drills, trunking, or more than 4 clips, i suppose the inspector would have an easy job differenciating between a BT install and an 'unauthorised' install.  :w00t:

50739[/snapback]

Yeah i had to install two lines for a couple 'engineers' once, the usual lets talk loudly at the bottom of my ladder about how we have to go back to the depot to get a metre drill then look up in hope at me to provide one! :no:

we must be the mugs as they can do no wrong in the customers eyes! Surface Kings, oh well thats BT, cant complain just thankfull the line is in banghead

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

:w00t: Seeing as BT haved mastered the art of running cables without using drills, trunking, :w00t:

50739[/snapback]

your not allowed in the master socket just the subscricbers part

And who's going to stop me i ask myself  :unsure:

50744[/snapback]

Well its not about stopping you is it, after all no one will stop you trying to rob a bank!

Its the getting caught bit that where the issue arises, specially if something has gone wrong. Of course that is unlikely but the blame will lie on your doorstep and they would have the right to come after you or your employer should BT decide to make a legal issue out something.

Never heard of it happening tho lol!

Its not really about them stopping you, it where you connect an extension illegally, the customer is unable to prove to line by removing the faceplate, call out BT, get charged and then see how that affects your reputation as someone who does illegal work - there is a legal and standardised way to connect so that is how it should be done.

Yes BT are surface kings, but to be fair the field guys (specially on Res) are not kitted out with trunking or given the time to chase out walls etc (or really to spend much time at all on cabling) which is why there is the standard £105 charge per extension - covers quick connects down the wall or halfway round a mansion which takes hours.

And belive it or not back when I was on BT - there was only 1 very long drill bit and 1 very long set of ladders per group - we had to go back to the exchange to sign them out (if they had not already been and sitting on someones van) !

In terms of the OP - it is quite legal to run extension cabling (known by BT as customer wiring) from the Master Jack (NTE5a) usign the extension wiring panel on the front, if this type of jack is not fitted, according to the rules - only an extension with a BT431a plug can be plugged-in, not hard-wired.

Of course both BT and other companies do not always adhere to these rules, but it can cost the customer money - which you need to be aware of.

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

I come across this every day. Yes we are surface kings as described earlier we just don't have the time to hide cables. But like most industries there are good and bad engineers. I could spend all day batting my corner but it would fall on deaf ears. I would say this though the next time you have a fault or there has been a storm in you area just think of us lot trying to get you back in service. Yes BT is a big company and we could do better with customer service support for are customers but we did take on a 2nd hand network that was past its working time way before we got are hands on it. Any way Rant over :rolleyes: If your not happy with BT you should try NTL :roflmao:

I call NTL carpet kings, they installed 2 lines when I was away (still have the more efficient BT lines as well), I tripped over, the cable came through the wall on top of the carpet past the front door and then onto the skirting board.

A "Nice" phone call got them back the next day to be supervised by me.

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Just a thought, i seemed to remember reading somewhere it was an offence to 'tap' into phone cables or add sockets in properties and only an official BT engineer is authorised to do so?

Might be way off but it did say a big fine would be imposed if caught?

Policed as well as Part P?

50737[/snapback]

My previous boss chain sawed a BT pole down outside the office and we replanted it the other side of the drive, it obscured his new window. BT turned up and were not impressed, didn

Trade Member

Archived