Security Installer Community

Internet Problem?

Stealth

Hi all.

Just been round to see a mate. He's got a problem with his pc (i think).

He connects to his broadband line ok, PC showing connected, but when he tries to browse the net, open outlook or any other internet programs it not connecting or seeing the connection? He has spoke to the ISP they say it is a pc fault. Have checked out connection settings in control panel all ok. Any ideas fellas it's driving him nuts?

Chubb Service Engineer

Hi all.

He connects to his broadband line ok, PC showing connected, but when he tries to browse the net, open outlook or any other internet programs it not connecting or seeing the connection? He has spoke to the ISP they say it is a pc fault. Have checked out connection settings in control panel all ok. Any ideas fellas it's driving him nuts?

49202[/snapback]

The first thing I would try is another PC on the same connection to "prove" where the problem lies. Have you got a laptop you can take round to him?

Is it ADSL or cable broadband, router or USB modem? And does the icon appear in the system tray or not when you connect?

Also, open a command prompt window and run ipconfig or ipconfig/all and see what that says (post it here if you can)

Hi all.

49202[/snapback]

Had this a few years ago, same thing, connected OK and settings looked fine but refused to actually do anything. I uninstalled and reinstalled TCP/IP and it worked a treat.

p.s Has he recently removed any antivirus or more likely firewall software?

Stu.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Running on ADSL, USB modem. Icon does show in the system tray!

How do i do the command prompt bit?

cheers Andy

Chubb Service Engineer

For command prompt go to start -> Run and type command and hit enter. Type ipconfig /all and post the results.

For TCP\IP right click My Network Places, select Properties. Right click the offending connections entry and select Properties. Select TCP\IP and click Remove. Close it down and re navigate your way there and select Add. Select Protocol, then TCP\IP.

Or something similar to that, I can't remember the ending from memory. ;)

In Internet Explorer;

Tools > Internet options > Connections > Lan Settings and select automatic detect settings.

49216[/snapback]

Also, check that 'dial my default connection' is ticked, and the broadband connection is default.

Archived