Security Installer Community

Infinite alarm by ESP

Guest brum1969

Guest brum1969

Hello Everyone!!

I'm about to purchase a brand new 4 bed detached house, which does not come with an alarm. I don't want a hard

wired alarm as I'm not happy to have my floorboards ripped up as new houses use chipboards which never sit

correctly again. Also, the house has a detached garage making a cable run problematic.

I'm interested in a wireless alarm called the Infinite by a company called ESP in Birmingham - http://www.espuk.com . It is also EN 50131 compliant. I'm particularly drawn to it as it can have an X10 module installed so I can control things around my home.

So.....

1) Can anyone recommend it?

2) Should I have it installed professionally? (I've reconfigured my Veritas R8 many times so i'm quite up to the job)

3) If you don't think its much good, can anyone recommend another make with the same features?

Regards

Brum1969

You don't need floorboards up, get someone in now while the place is empty and you'll have a fully fitted wired alarm with no cables on show and no floorboards lifted. I assume the house is built and finshed?

Problem solved. You could use a wireless expander for the garage if you really had to, but it's not that much of an effort to put a duct in ready for the alarm co.

Agreed with lurch . The esp thing is total cack as most wireless systems are for this end of the diy market. Have the system fitted now and it will save you money compared to the esp. It will also be much more reliable in the long run.

Dave Oxendale

York based security systems engineer.

Guest brum1969
You don't need floorboards up, get someone in now while the place is empty and you'll have a fully fitted wired alarm with no cables on show and no floorboards lifted. I assume the house is built and finshed?

Problem solved. You could use a wireless expander for the garage if you really had to, but it's not that much of an effort to put a duct in ready for the alarm co.

46898[/snapback]

Thanks for your reply!!

If you dont take the boards up, how do you hide the wires? Putting trunking all over the place is **** and I dont want it either.

I'm happy about the duct as the garage is about 10 meters from the house.

If this can be done without seeing wires and without trunking, then I will go for a good wired system. As I said before, my current system is a Veritas R8 which I am fully conversant with. What panel would you recommend if this one is not seen as being good?

Regards

Brum1969

If you dont take the boards up, how do you hide the wires? Putting trunking all over the place is **** and I dont want it either.

If this can be done without seeing wires and without trunking, then I will go for a good wired system.

46906[/snapback]

Ah, the mysteries of the professional installer! Trust me, it can be done. Without seeing your house I can't tell you exactly how, but a real pro will do it no worries.

The duct is definitely a good idea, a much better option than wireless in any situation.

I'm not keen on trunking all over the place either, as I say, get it done before the house is full of carpets and furniture and it wil be a breeze. Your chosen alarm co. will decide on the panel to be fitted, there's a fair few decent small domestic panels out there.

:roflmao: at chewie

Thanks for your reply!!

If this can be done without seeing wires and without trunking, then I will go for a good wired system.  As I said before, my current system is a Veritas R8 which I am fully conversant with.  What panel would you recommend if this one is not seen as being good?

Regards

Brum1969

46906[/snapback]

A professional installer will be able to install a hardwired system with very little or no cable visible. In most cases you would not see anything except the devices on the alarm.

Depending on how many zones you intend to have and what functions you want from the alarm, there are many panels that will suit most domestics.

I favour the Texecom Premier for domestics at the moment, (same people who make the Veritas) although the programming is a lot more advanced they are easy to use.

If installed professionally, you may void any warranty you have by adjusting the installation or programming.

If you don't know......ask.

Guest brum1969
:roflmao:  at chewie

A professional installer will be able to install a hardwired system with very little or no cable visible. In most cases you would not see anything except the devices on the alarm.

Depending on how many zones you intend to have and what functions you want from the alarm, there are many panels that will suit most domestics.

I favour the Texecom Premier for domestics at the moment, (same people who make the Veritas) although the programming is a lot more advanced they are easy to use.

If installed professionally, you may void any warranty you have by adjusting the installation or programming.

46913[/snapback]

As its a four bed detached with a hallway, i'd need:

1) A standard PIR for the hallway, lounge, dinner and study rooms

2) A pet friendly PIR for the kitchen due to the dog

3) A standard PIR for the landing

4) A standard PIR for the garage which must be ducted as its detached

5) Two keypads - one upstairs and one downstairs

I paid around £450 for my Veritas 8 to be installed a few years ago with a similar amount of sensors.

Any ideas what i'm looking for now?

Any recommendations for any good alarm companies covering the West Midlands?

Regards

Brum1969

Hmm in this situation i think a Veritas Excel would suffice, that is unless he's wanting to do all sort of fangled stuff with the garage in which case i would go down the Premier route definately, its all a case of budgets at the end of the day as a Premier would be somewhat more expensive then an Excel.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Archived