Security Installer Community

How to alarm machines in a launderette?

Guest jorolat

Guest jorolat

Hi,

I work in a launderette whose main alarm system is based on an ADE Logic 4 control panel. As a result of repeared attempts to break into the coin mechanisms of the washers and dryers (etc) the Owner would now like the machines to be alarmed. I installed a number of alarm systems in the 1980s so I'm quite happy to do the work but I would appreciate some advice!

The first option we have is to use the tamper circuit on zone 1 (which is currently unused & we want 24hr protection). If we do this, I would like to bring cables from each different type of machine to an interface box next to the existing panel & connect the cables in series there (creating 'subzones' which can be switched in and out as desired.

At the moment I'm thinking of microswitches as the 'detectors', partially cos I'm not sure how well reed relays would stand up in a relatively 'hostile' environment, and I'm wondering how long the total cable length could be before the zone becomes unstable (or doesn't work, whatever).

The second option is to connect the subzones to the zones of a new control panel and then interface this to the existing panel (a sort of master/slave setup). The 'chime' facility which I've seen advertised could help as a deterrent when the Owner empties the machines. Any thoughts, comments, or advice would be welcome!

Jorolat

Guest Adrian

B) Logic 4 :o

Eerr time for some major upgrades I think, If I was you I would get a company in There a large number of things to consider here depending on the type of money boxs installed, and what you would do when they are to be emptyed.

I have seen in some places they use a steel u shaped bar that is bolted to the wall and goes over the front of the money tray, The sort of thing that has a padlock so it can be emptyed when you take it of.

Adrian B)

The best and probably cheapest option is to replace the ADE system with a new control panel. This will offer you at least 8 individual zones that can be used for both premises and machine alarms.

Sealed reed contacts and (I'm sure) microswitches are available and would probably be best for your needs.

There are various ways of arming and disarming the zones and alarm.

Although you have some experience, a professional installer would probably be able to install exactly what you need, for less time, hassle and, possibly, money.

If you don't know......ask.

Hmm, I did just write most of an excellent response, then realised you'd already read it all as you were the OP on the uk.d-i-y thread I was referring to!

As everyone else said, ditch the Logic 4 and get a decent panel if you're going to use it. Also get an alarm installer in to do the lot rather than hacking bits together yourself.

Guest jorolat

Thankyou for replying everyone :)

I hadn't thought of replacing the existing control panel, and although I can see the sense in calling in a professional service, I really would like to d-i-y it!

Earlier in my, um, career I worked for EMI (Defence) designing the ATE hardware/software for a system used on Nimrod aircraft (I would say what it was but it would be just my luck for me to have to be killed rather than you) so I hope whatever solution I come up with won't be too Heath Robinson-ish.

Thanks again,

Jorolat

Guest jorolat
Your not the only person that can use an computer that had or has a career, some of us still work for the MOD and believe you me a Logic 4 would not  be acceptable.

As I said in my earlier post the solution to your problem is available if you look and you are able to fit it yourself.

The advice you have been given comes from the voice of experience, if you decide not to take thats up to you.

If its not what you want to hear then we are sorry, but please dont give it the big "I am".

Pete

42690[/snapback]

In my reply I pointed out that I hadn't considered replacing the Logic 4 panel. It has met the Owner's needs for 5 years or more and the idea of alarming the machines, until the above (good!) idea was put forward, was seen as an added extra to be implemented as economically as possible at a time when there are a number of other improvements to be made.

I'm looking forward to seeing what solutions are available but I must admit I'm surprised at the 'snappiness' of your reply - such an angry mindset must be well hidden from your customers!

It's not a question of the advice I've been given not being "what I want to hear", rightly or wrongly I believe I understand why such advice has been given and all I implied was that the usual reasons for calling in professionals may not be necessarily applicable. Of course, any individual who believes I didn't "like what I heard" is welcome to continue believing so. After all, I can't be held responsible for what happens inside other people's heads can I?

The statement

"(I would say what it was but it would be just my luck for me to have to be killed rather than you)"

was meant as a joke,

people were supposed to laugh -

like this:

hahaha!

see?

People who act the "big I am" are laughable - they constantly need the reassurance of others in order to feel important. Feel important, that is, relative to a suppressed inadequacy. They don't impress me at all, and neither do angry or presumptuous people.

Jorolat

If its not what you want to hear then we are sorry, but please dont give it the big "I am".

Thats not normally like you Pete :no:

This is a public forum & a DIY section. I could understand this in the Trade Section. I'm surprised at the response, regardless of who he is or what he's done in the past.

I've seen posts in the Trade Section and much debate on should we be giving out installation advice to DIY ers, but I thought we were still helping out here?

Confused, IOW :)

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

People who act the "big I am" are laughable - they constantly need the reassurance of others in order to feel important. Feel important, that is, relative to a suppressed inadequacy. They don't impress me at all, and neither do angry or presumptuous people.

Jorolat

42693[/snapback]

:w00t:

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Archived