Security Installer Community

2nd line

Lectrician

I currently have 1 line. ADSL on it.

I also have a second number with callsign to activate my fax.

The second number was once my second number on ISDN Home Highway, they transferred it for free.

I am thinking of getting a second PSTN line as my fax keeps picking up the main number, even though it supposed to be able to use call sign.

Speaking to the BT ladies on the phone, who know not a lot........

They say if I have a new line, the call sign number will not be available for transfer??

Also, would I be best to have the adsl tranferred to the new line (or the numbers swapped from one line to the other). This would allow me to remove adsl filters on phone, sky, alarm etc.

Hopefully a BT engineer trolls these forums :D

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

LOL Troll you have been looking under the bridge again.

Lectrician The only reason I can think of that you would not be able to transfer the callsign number is if you go for the Featureline installation. I know they are doing a deal at the moment if you sign up to a three year contract with a featurline service then installation is free and line rental is half price, even cheaper than a residential line. If you speak to sales again and ask to have a second line installed with your callsign number as the circuit number there should not be a problem all it is a software change.

Technically, a lot of the devices that are meant to detect the Callsign ring do not work that well, possibly different exchanges types etc.

If you want it to work correctly, there is a BT twintalk switch for about £15, never used it myself but feedback is that they do work well, this will switch the 2 different types of ring between phones or phone and fax in your case, I am wondering if possibly your ADSL microfilter may have something to do with the problem. More info on the Bt website http://www.twintalkhelp.com

Now as for the transferring of a Callsign number, this is possible but very difficult according to feedback from the UK.telecom forum, keep trying if you want to do it as you may get through to the right person in the end.

Apparently a good number to call to arrange this sort of thing is 0800 028 5085 - which is meant to be the BT callsign department or soemthing similar, not sure if it is a current number though.

regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

When it comes to phone lines I have no idea but I know that we've just cancelled our fax line because Demon, who suppy our broadband offer a free 0870 number which gets directly put into pdf format and emailed to us. We use our normal line to send faxes and the 0870 to recieve. They also give us a free static IP address which is good for demoing CCTV remote viewing all for £25 a month. Probably no use to you but just an idea!

Mark

Trade Member

When it comes to phone lines I have no idea but I know that we've just cancelled our fax line because Demon, who suppy our broadband offer a free 0870 number which gets directly put into pdf format and emailed to us.  We use our normal line to send faxes and the 0870 to recieve.  They also give us a free static IP address which is good for demoing CCTV remote viewing all for £25 a month.  Probably no use to you but just an idea!

Mark

39487[/snapback]

Free 0870 number! :!:

They're making up to 10p per minute on calls to that, no wonder it's free to you. :realmad:

They should pay you to receive 0870 numbers, even 0845 numbers make them a good profit. :w00t:

Archived