Security Installer Community

Door sensors

Guest Guest_Bill_*

A classic example of what i mean!

Eh???

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Noones slagging anyone off, we're just airing differing views

37732[/snapback]

Lurch and Yourself are both professionals. You ridiculed him by saying 'what utter nonsense'. That's the way I'd see it if you replied to one of my posts that way.

To top it off, Lurch was quite right in what he said!

Even if the outwardly opening, external door was sealed properly at the top and sides, with an overlap and seal, moisture could still ingress from the bottom of the door.

If you don't know......ask.

Eh???

37735[/snapback]

The installer may be reputable, and his remarks have led to debate amongst professionals.

He may be quite right in what he has said to Guest Bill. Even if it is not in the regs (which I now suspect it might be), I would still consider it the best option in this case.

From your comments, Guest Bill may get a different, lesser company in and tarnish the name of the good one!

Not being funny, but how often do you fit contacts at the bottom of a door?

Mark Hawks

Begs the question, why, as from the thread of this topic its just asking for trouble

Mark Hawks

Begs the question, why, as from the thread of this topic its just asking for trouble

37741[/snapback]

:cry:

For the same reasons as countless other installers.

The customer doesn't want to see the conatact or the cabling so the more discreet, the better.

Most domestics I have done, have the front door contact drilled through under the floor and fitted as low as possible. This conceals and protects the cable.

I admit, sometimes there are better ways, ie drilling through to the keypad from the centre of the door frame, etc. But in most situations, you would need trunking up the door frame to install it at height.

Also, moisture ingress to the bottom of the frame will eventually effect the whole door frame, no matter where the contact is fitted.

Guest Guest_Bill_*

I don't see why moisture should be a problem - with a properly sealed sensor/magnet they could be underwater without trouble.

I can see that the bar magnet trick could done but surely this is also a weakness with surface mounted sensors inside the door - you just need a bigger magnet.

Our local NSI gold firm says its due to nsi regs dur to compromising the flush contact on an outward opening door.

Have seen //.National Installer.// change flush to surface when they have taken systems over from other companies and a flush has been fitted to an out door.

Get those codes of practice book out!! will be interesting to hear

Paul

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

I don't see why moisture should be a problem - with a properly sealed sensor/magnet they could be underwater without trouble.

I can see that the bar magnet trick could done but surely this is also a weakness with surface mounted sensors inside the door - you just need a bigger magnet.

37777[/snapback]

I was only reffering to non-sealed plastic, surface and flush contacts.(The types most commonly used for domestics)

Obviously sealed units will perform better, although I suspect they eventually be effected, just as sealed roller shutter contacts do.

Archived