Security Installer Community

BT question

Guest RICHL

Is it still possible for BT to hold numbers in an exchange?

Im moving soon and may have to be out of this place before I get the keys to the new one. Ive already got call divert.

Yes the number can be held. Alos If you are unable to transfer your old number to your new address then they will be able to place a divert to the new number for a time. I do not no how much it cost!! If you ring sales 0800 800 800 and explain what you whant. Failing that have a look at the web site www.bt.com

Brian - its all a question of timing! Ive got to get it right as I dont want to divert to a mobile (SSAIB dont like it either!).

Smart1- thanks for the number and the info.

• 2 weeks later...

You should invest in an 0845 number that way it doesnt matter where you move you can always divert it. I have one line here but with some BT feature on the line where a second number rings different, then i have an 0845 number diverting to this, so I instantly know if its a business or personal call. I can then divert both to my mobile when away from the office.

If anyones interested in some 0845 0870 numbers then let me know, I can get good deals on them.

Regards.

Mark

secure4.me.uk digital cctv

We have an 0845 for about a year now, from our experience down here it has put people off, many still unaware its local rate.

We should have put local rate in brackets after the number

we are going back to our normal number in the book from now on!

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

The way phone charges are going there isn't really much difference between local and national (long distance) any more. And, as you say, most people don't understand what all the variations are.

BUT. They do understand that 0800 is free. :D

Why not go for an 0800 number, it won't cost you much if you choose the right provider, and would be good for business. :rolleyes:

Most of the bad feedback is for the 0870 numbers are they are about 10p/min, the 0845 ones are not classed any longer as local rate, but are cheaper, think they get described as low-call rate now.

Problems are that as people are becoming more aware of cheap phone call offers, they are also aware that none of the cheap deals, and the mobile companies (apart from maybe Orange) include 0845 or 0870 numbers in free minutes or in any of the cheap deals.

Feeedback seems to be an 0800 number or local geagraphic number is the best bet, a lot of people are still unaware that 0500 and 0808 are freephone ranges.

The service mentioned above by the way "to get a second number on the line with a different ring" is BT Callsign.

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Which mobile contracts include 0870 numbers in their inclusive minutes?

Orange and O2 don't

37048[/snapback]

Maybe none of them do, that was my point - I know that orange used to do 0800 under inclusive minutes and I think for a very short time they did 0845 and maybe 0870 (few years ago now).

But this was my point, as you have seen with 02 etc, my Vodafone has a good inclusive minutes deal so I prefer not to call 0845/0870 for this very reason as they along with 0800 actually are not included.

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Archived