Security Installer Community

pc internet sharing

Security Technician

Another thought on the WAN light (that doesn't light!).

It may be that the device needs to be told to act as router via its config. screen. Most of these type of devices can be configured to work either as a router or just as a switched hub. In addition the wireless mode can be turned on and off.

To access the config. screen, connect any LAN port on the device to the PC ethernet port, open your web browser, and enter the correct series of numbers (IP address - see your manual for this).

Allso

Being US doesn't matter, PPoE is PPoE and PPoA is PPoA either side of the pond.

As long as VPI, VCI, MTU and PPP settings are correct it should all work.

NTL won't support a lot of hardware, they don't mind you using whatever you want but won't support it.

34707[/snapback]

PS Don't worry about all the TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) - you don't need to know much about these to actually get your home network up and running. :)

Allso

One more thought on the WAN light that doesn't.

Unplug the ethernet cable from your PC, at the router end, and plug into the WAN port in place of the cable to the modem. It's all just ethernet so won't do any harm. Your PC will need to be on.

If it lights up then it's either the cable to the modem or the modem itself that are the problem; the modem may need resetting to activate the ethernet link if it's been using USB.

If it doesn't light up then the router is the problem, it either needs reconfiguring or is faulty. If you look on the US D-link web site there's a lot of useful information including how to reset it to factory defaults. If you bought it secondhand a factory reset is probably a good idea anyway.

Im with Peter on this one.

They set up the access depending on which computer is connected, I used to have NTL via the Set top box using ICS on my main PC.

When I booted to Linux I had to call them and get them to accept the Linux PC for the first time.

http://home.ntl I think was the url I had to use with my ID and Code, once thats set up all was fine.

Talk to NTL first and see what they have to do to allow your new router to work before doing anything else with cable and equipment. All you should need to do is unplug the cable between PC and Modem at the PC end and plug it into the router.

Also what Also says, connect your PC to the router using a straight Network cable and make sure you can connect to the router, open your browser and the address should be http://192.168.0.1 your PC would then be 192.168.0.2 or something like that

Something else to try is changing the ntl box -> router cable to a cross over one or straight one, depending upon what you have at the moment.

I had a setup with an old NTL box plugged into a network card. The NTL box broke and we got a shiny new one. The new ethernet connection on the new NTL box needed a crossover patch to get the internet connection working again.

I would expect a light to come on when you plug the NTL box to your router.

Archived