Security Installer Community

pc internet sharing

Security Technician

Hope these pointers may help. (Some already mentioned by amateurandy above).

Best to setup/test the network (LAN) with cable initially - once it all works you can sort out the wireless, which can be another "can of worms".

Connections from computers to router, and router to cable modem, should be via standard ethernet cables (NOT crossover cable, which looks the same, but which has different internal wiring, and which is only used to link two computers directly, i.e. with no network hub in between them).

Make sure its the WAN port on the router that is connected to the cable modem.

As far as I know (as I'm familiar with Telewest broadband rather than ntl), the router WAN MAC number (usually written somewhere on it) will need to be recognised by ntl in order to allow you to connect - if you contact ntl they will add it to the list of devices that will be recognised when you try to connect (or you may be able to add it yourself on their website).

I don't see why a US router would cause any problems in the UK, it should work fine (as long as it runs on 220v AC!). Ethernet is ethernet!

Once you have the router properly connected to your computer you should be able to access the router config. screen with your browser, using its own IP address.

Let us know how you get on.

Allso

Hope these pointers may help. (Some already mentioned by amateurandy above).

Best to setup/test the network (LAN) with cable initially - once it all works you can sort out the wireless, which can be another "can of worms".

Connections from computers to router, and router to cable modem, should be via standard ethernet cables (NOT crossover cable, which looks the same, but which has different internal wiring, and which is only used to link two computers directly, i.e. with no network hub in between them).

Make sure its the WAN port on the router that is connected to the cable modem.

As far as I know (as I'm familiar with Telewest broadband rather than ntl), the router WAN MAC number (usually written somewhere on it) will need to be recognised by ntl in order to allow you to connect - if you contact ntl they will add it to the list of devices that will be recognised when you try to connect (or you may be able to add it yourself on their website).

I don't see why a US router would cause any problems in the UK, it should work fine (as long as it runs on 220v AC!). Ethernet is ethernet!

Once you have the router properly connected to your computer you should be able to access the router config. screen with your browser, using its own IP address.

Let us know how you get on.

Allso

34617[/snapback]

I tryed both the ethernet cable that came wi modem and with router by plugging into back of modem and into wan port on router but didnt get a wan light... is there something simple i am missing?

Guest Peter James

Its the NTL bit that makes it tricky, the NTL server reconises your router as another computer. You have to go into the router settings and set it up with the password you got with your ntl account set up sheet. (I also had to download a different driver from the router manufactures web page)

Once this is setup you will find every cpu you plug into the router will work.

The NTL web page says you can only use one of two brands of router this is only becouse the tech support is a nightmare for them oherwise.

Pete

The NTL web page says you can only use one of two brands of router this is only because the tech support is a nightmare for them otherwise.

This may be the Catch-22 as this is a US model router. The D-link support pages talk about firmware upgrades and support of various cable networks, with automatic identification and connection, obviously US ones and not NTL. This is presumably to process the "logon" or "identification" sequence. You can absolutely guarantee that NTL will not want to know if it doesn't work and you ask them for help.

It may still be worth a try, but you need to be talking to it properly from your PC on the management interface first. And check out all the FAQ's you can find on the web.

Being US doesn't matter, PPoE is PPoE and PPoA is PPoA either side of the pond.

As long as VPI, VCI, MTU and PPP settings are correct it should all work.

NTL won't support a lot of hardware, they don't mind you using whatever you want but won't support it.

I tryed both the ethernet cable that came wi modem and with router by plugging into back of modem and into wan port on router but didnt get a wan light... is there something simple i am missing?

34662[/snapback]

I'm surprised you didn't get a WAN light. Only thing I can think of is to make sure you have pushed the Ethernet connectors in very firmly, until they have clicked into their sockets.

Allso

Archived