Security Installer Community

pc internet sharing

Security Technician

i am trying to set up a wireless network with my ntl broadband, at the moment i have cable modem plugged into usb of desktop machine, then a cable from what i believe to be the network card slot to the same connection on my laptop and i can share internet, however have to have main pc on to power network

Have now got a d link 4 port wireless router

have tried to connect an ethernet cable from modem into router but it doesnt light up to say that its connected, then have unplugged the cable from my laptop and plugged into port on router

my laptop has now got a pcmcia card for wireless connection, it shows up that a wireless connection is available but cant access internet etc and have tried allsorts, also cant access via desktop, in manual it says to type in an ip address for router but it does not pick it up... am i missing something out? have tried all sorts using network wizzard etc on xp

Your router should have instructions that tell you how to set it up.

But basically you will probably have a network (RJ45, LAN) cable from your PC to the router. Your old modem is redundant.

Have you got the main PC working via the router? You may need changes made by NTL as well to allow the router to connect.

If you had an single RJ45 cable directly from your PC to your laptop it will have to be a "crossover" cable to work. That will NOT work to connect either PC to the router.

Your "old" setup was presumably using "Internet Connection Sharing". Do both computers have XP? Home or Professional?

Your new setup wil NOT use ICS. The router does the sharing.

Does that help explain anything? :whistle:

As for using wireless connections, that's a whole next step that I've been having fun with myself. Add in the firewalls and encryption/security and it gets really messy. Get it all working with wires first.

Your router should have instructions that tell you how to set it up.

But basically you will probably have a network (RJ45, LAN) cable from your PC to the router. Your old modem is redundant.

Have you got the main PC working via the router? You may need changes made by NTL as well to allow the router to connect.

If you had an single RJ45 cable directly from your PC to your laptop it will have to be a "crossover" cable to work. That will NOT work to connect either PC to the router.

Your "old" setup was presumably using "Internet Connection Sharing". Do both computers have XP? Home or Professional?

Your new setup wil NOT use ICS. The router does the sharing.

Does that help explain anything? :whistle:

As for using wireless connections, that's a whole next step that I've been having fun with myself. Add in the firewalls and encryption/security and it gets really messy. Get it all working with wires first.

34545[/snapback]

according to the manual the router is compatible with both normal and crossover cables.... not had it working yet as a light is supposed to come on to say its connected... tried cable that came with router and cable that came wi modem but no joy, laptop xp home, desktop pro...

when i plug the card in it picks up wireless network but cant connect

it is a d link dl 524

34548[/snapback]

IS that DI-524 or DL-524?

Neither are on D-link's UK web site!

The DL-524 appears on a number of web sites, but all the ones I've seen are American. DL-524 is on US D-link site, but NOT the UK site.

The equivalent UK model appears to be the DI-624+

How did you buy it? :cry:

The D-link UK web site also says:

Note

DSL-xxxx Products include a built in ADSL modem - no other modem is required.

DI-xxxx Products do not include an ADSL modem and are intended for use with Cable Modems.  However, a DSL-300T (ADSL Ethernet Modem) can be use with DI-xxx products to enable them for use on ADSL networks.

So you will need a cable modem with this. But if it's a US model it probably won't work anyway. :(

Archived