Security Installer Community

Choosing the best internet source at a new jobsite... how?

torclausen

I am setting up wildlife cameras at senior housing complexes. Each place is different, and I've already come across a great deal of resistance to using the buildings internet and LAN. 

How do you all approach the initial decision of where to source internet at a security camera (or whatever you are installing) jobsite?

If I was going to approach the IT managers, could I ask something like this:

"I have purchased a few POE cameras that I would like to pay you to setup. You can have the entire control over the system, I just need the live feed access and the ability to move the cameras around"

What do you think they are thinking when they hear this?

Great. That helps me empathize with them. 

I have been doing this for a year, and have plans to make a small non-profit project of it.

I need a better camera system. I am looking at the popular consumer grade POE camera kits like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094XVH5SR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A22EYB2OIILVQA&psc=1

It would seem that one of these could be a decent place to start. Are there things I should be on the look out for when considering a system?

T

agreed. Are the cameras cybersecure. who is liable if your kit causes a breach.

would you allow someone you dont know to connect equipment to your lan

also IT are then involved in the privacy issues of 3rd parties they have no control over viewing the cameras.

Why would an installer need access to live views?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

also IT are then involved in the privacy issues of 3rd parties they have no control over viewing the cameras.

Why would an installer need access to live views?

I was only trying to ease the IT department's anxiety by ceding control of the devices to them.

Edited by torclausen

1 minute ago, torclausen said:

Great. That helps me empathize with them. 

I have been doing this for a year, and have plans to make a small non-profit project of it.

I need a better camera system. I am looking at the popular consumer grade POE camera kits like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094XVH5SR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A22EYB2OIILVQA&psc=1

It would seem that one of these could be a decent place to start. Are there things I should be on the look out for when considering a system?

T

noone here on the trade side is going to use anything like that.

putting DIY grade stuff on your own home is one thing, installing it for others is another

just Google for that brand and security holes etc. 

be very careful you could end up with huge problems, I notice in another thread you are involving kids etc in this project. id run a mile

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

The concept is to have live streamed bird cams outside of senior housing. The streams are hosted on FB or YT and the elders in the building answer questions that people have about the birds. Local Biology teachers can get on board.

What is the best way for me to proceed. I am clearly naive to the dangers of this project.