Security Installer Community

Looking for a replacement alarm

dazza10

I've got an really old Optima MX6 system in my house, its a rental so over the years someone has been snip happy and cut wires away from the siren/speaker etc. I thought i'd give it a go and enable it again after finding out how to reset the codes. However the keypad isn't functioning and looking at it closer the tracks are burnt out and diagnosing it with a multimeter continuity isn't there either so the tracks are worn to the point i cba repairing them. However all the wiring and voltages test good for the rest of the system. 

So onto my main question

I'm looking to replace the panel with something a bit more in with todays standards but reuse the wiring and replace PIRs if needed. Ideal if it could have some smart function so i could arm/disarm away from home and a wireless keypad?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, dazza10 said:

I've got an really old Optima MX6 system in my house, its a rental so over the years someone has been snip happy and cut wires away from the siren/speaker etc. I thought i'd give it a go and enable it again after finding out how to reset the codes. However the keypad isn't functioning and looking at it closer the tracks are burnt out and diagnosing it with a multimeter continuity isn't there either so the tracks are worn to the point i cba repairing them. However all the wiring and voltages test good for the rest of the system. 

So onto my main question

I'm looking to replace the panel with something a bit more in with todays standards but reuse the wiring and replace PIRs if needed. Ideal if it could have some smart function so i could arm/disarm away from home and a wireless keypad?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Diy

Scantronics ion 40 

Still has free app connection 

However it will take some time to set it up and depending on your ability complete it by yourself 

Bonus is if any wires damaged else where you can still go wireless 

Worth looking at cost and time and hassle and see if a local installer will do it for you

Edited by al-yeti

As above and from personal experience tenants and tech don't mix and only cause you time, you're just adding to the list of things you are responsible for.

I have a wireless system that's completely portable between properties when they are vacant but bear in mind you will need internet access for notifications/app.

I also have a couple of cheap internet cameras you can place in the property and monitor that way, most nowadays have a motion function.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.