Jump to content
Security Installer Community

DA Abacus Panel - time for an update


PaulStevens

Recommended Posts

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me...?!


I’ve had the pleasure of using A DA Abacus alarm with 2 remote keypads for many a happy year with no problems at all!
Ideally, I want to carry on using this rock solid piece of kit, but I would now like the ability to be able to access the status and control the panel remotely (via the internet).
As it stands, I don’t think this is possible? But, if I could interface to the expansion bus that the keypads are on, then I should be able to do with, for example, an internet connected raspberry pi that I can do with a keypad. 
Does anyone have any info on the comms used to/from the keypads and the protocols used?
Or, worse (more expensive case) could anyone recommend a new alarm panel that I could retrofit in the Abacus position, using the existing sensors and cables etc but one that is connected to the internet? Any ideally that will still be able to use the existing keypads?? Asking a lot I know!

Thanks in anticipation.

 

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The answer is no, no and no.

 

DA have been out of business for many years, and something will fail soon, I guarantee it as I see it every week. It'll usually be the power supply / charger leading to 'fun times' at 3am.

 

Any recent alarm system would be able to re-use the existing cables, but frankly on a system that age without updates or servicing, thats all I'd re-use.

 

Personally I would use an Eaton iON 40H for a free, web (cloud) based app (that doesn't need port forwarding) but this would be an irregular choice. Others will no doubt post their favourites.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd take great pleasure in ripping this old tat of the wall & slinging it in a skip...

 

Your panel will have outputs for status & probably zone (inputs) that work as key switch,

 

You could probably infaces to Pi or whatever which has input & relays

 

Or buy some modern controls which will run an app

Edited by MrHappy
  • Upvote 1

Mr😀 Veritas God

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

The answer is no, no and no.

 

DA have been out of business for many years, and something will fail soon, I guarantee it as I see it every week. It'll usually be the power supply / charger leading to 'fun times' at 3am.

 

Any recent alarm system would be able to re-use the existing cables, but frankly on a system that age without updates or servicing, thats all I'd re-use.

 

Personally I would use an Eaton iON 40H for a free, web based app but this would be an irregular choice. Others will no doubt post their favourites.

 

Lol! Mr data, I like your style!

(I find a Spectrum emulator works well on an i7, though the keyboards are now tricky to get hold of!)

 

i like the the look of the iON 40H, though I would guess the iON 16 would suit my domestic needs far better. 

I’ll  have a deeper delv into Eaton (Scantronics?), thanks. 

 

Paul

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Honeywell flex ? Then you could use the galaxy selfmon app or the Honeywell app itself

Hi al-yeti,

thanks for your replay. I’ve thought about the Honeywell alarms as I’ve already got the Evohome heating system. 

I cant seem to get much specifics about the Honeywell stuff though.

Ie, introduction timelines of when the panel was introduced, if it is web enabled and wether it is rf only, hybrid or wired.  

Is the Honeywell flex the latest one? Do you know when it was released?

thanks again!

 

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

I'd take great pleasure in ripping this old tat of the wall & slinging it in a skip...

 

Your panel will have outputs for status & probably zone (inputs) that work as key switch,

 

You could probably infaces to Pi or whatever which has input & relays

 

Or buy some modern controls which will run an app

Thanks MrHappy 

I feel that is what I’ll end up doing!

There doesn’t seem to be a “key switch” I/P to it unfortunately. 

I could connect an auto dial system to it, but they are only one way. I couldn’t reset the alarm remotely. So, may need to bite the bullet and swap it, though I would appreciate the advice of the experienced members here for which system to go for, bearing in mind that ideally I want it hard wired with remote keypads and internet connectable. 

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PaulStevens said:

Thanks MrHappy 

I feel that is what I’ll end up doing!

There doesn’t seem to be a “key switch” I/P to it unfortunately. 

I could connect an auto dial system to it, but they are only one way. I couldn’t reset the alarm remotely. So, may need to bite the bullet and swap it, though I would appreciate the advice of the experienced members here for which system to go for, bearing in mind that ideally I want it hard wired with remote keypads and internet connectable. 

 

Thanks!

Geezer come you want to do all this protocol stuff ? Googling is easier

 

https://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/products/intruder/control-panels/galaxy-flex/462175.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PaulStevens said:

Thanks again al-yeti!

I admit I’ve been through the Honeywell website and found it frustrating low on specifics, but you’ve got to an interesting page there!

ive been approaching it from

http://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/

 

Have you had any experience with this system?

 

thanks

 

Paul

Wait for galaxyguy and some others I used to fit them not anymore, not because it's rubbish mind you

 

Have a look at selfmon aswell you can contact them to see there app options and what you can 

 

Mr galaxy might be on holiday , we need notifications when posting names might nudge him 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PaulStevens said:

i like the the look of the iON 40H, though I would guess the iON 16 would suit my domestic needs far better. 

 

Nope, it really wouldn't!

 

The 16 isn't updatable (ever), is wireless only, and doesn't even have the 1st generation web interface let alone the 2nd generation cloud based one!

 

Also don't confuse the iOn 40 (still for sale) with the 40H.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

Wait for galaxyguy and some others I used to fit them not anymore, not because it's rubbish mind you

 

Have a look at selfmon aswell you can contact them to see there app options and what you can 

 

Mr galaxy might be on holiday , we need notifications when posting names might nudge him 

Mmm, selfmon looks interesting...

looks like I’ll be comparing quiet a few here!

Thanks for getting me on the right track!

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

 

Nope, it really wouldn't!

 

The 16 isn't updatable (ever), is wireless only, and doesn't even have the 1st generation web interface let alone the 2nd generation cloud based one!

 

Also don't confuse the iOn 40 (still for sale) with the 40H.

Ah, thanks for the heads up!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.