Security Installer Community

Apollo 65 SD on Galaxy

Litch90

8 minutes ago, andy™ said:

sounders shouldnt be such an issue, sounder upstairs and downstairs should be loud enough to be heard at every point at an adequate level.

Detection circuits easy to monitor With EOL. monitoring the sounder could be problematic, although im not aware of that being a requirement for a grade C

agree on the battery, 72 hour requirement would need a lot more than a little 7ah, even if the system was dedicated to just the smoke detectors and how power requirement for PIR's etc

chances of a wiring fault before a fire is detected is very slim. most wiring would be out of the immediate threat of any fire, at least to the point of the alarm would have detected a fire and alerted everyone in the property before it was compromised. you could however wire the detectors in FP if you wanted to (or if you're feeling very adventurous go for MICC)

bs 5839-6-2013 6.2

FP on the EOL detectors is a bit pointless I would rather it be on the sounders !

Edited by Simlec

26 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

Each battery powered smoke alarm has its own sounder, should it detect a fire it makes a noise

A 12v intruder alarm has the sounder separate from the detection device, combustible cables means the cable or the fuse may be knacked before fire is detected or announced 

Sort of makes sense I guess, I don't have any sounders per-se on the system only the keypads (not had any internal sounders in over 10 years) would make a noise so technically any fault other than a total wipeout would cause local indication on at least one of the 4 keypads dotted around.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

1 minute ago, andy™ said:

i stand corrected, looks like the sounder circuit does need monitored for an open or short circuit fault

Thats not to say it cant be done. Just out of interest what sounders would you use? and how?

2 minutes ago, Simlec said:

Thats not to say it cant be done. Just out of interest what sounders would you use? and how?

not really had much to do with them, never installed a grade C system (usually installed grade D) but have worked on a few of them (adding more detectors (alarm & smoke), fault finding etc). the wiring has always been either NC or EOL to the detector with a sounder on each floor. if i was to install one then it would probably be along a similar design

its also been a while since ive actually read 5839, more so on the parts that dont apply to grade D. probably how i missed the monitoring on the sounder bit....

30 minutes ago, petrolhead said:

The aico 12v detectors i use, ei186, have a 9v battery and an internal sounder. When not connected to a panel they are essentially a standalone detector but with the added features of a relay output and 12/24v supply to increase battery life plus they are interconnectable. Those ones you have your cake and eat it.

other option is fit a load of mains/battery interconnected devices and fit a relay pattress base to the one closest to the panel and interface that way.

Good to go for a Grade D

15 hours ago, petrolhead said:

The aico 12v detectors i use, ei186, have a 9v battery and an internal sounder. When not connected to a panel they are essentially a standalone detector but with the added features of a relay output and 12/24v supply to increase battery life plus they are interconnectable.

Yep, these are the ones we used before we switched to Texe when I worked for the firm.

I often fit a base sounder (many work at 9-30vdc etc... as we know) below each Texe smoke anyway.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

On 7 January 2017 at 2:59 PM, MrHappy said:

Only a proper fire alarm or interlinked smokes met with building regs,

If you want smokes on intruder alarm I buy Texecom ones however I have used S65 with the relay base in the past

Part number for the Texecom units? thanks mr h