Security Installer Community

everyman and his dog

Paul Giles

It's all very well for people who run their own alarm company with NSI / SSAIB approval to moan about small time firms making a mockery of the industry. Fair enough there are many cowboys out there, but there are also a lot of people out their trying to build up a reputable company from scratch. How would anyone be able to do this if the media was flooded with adverts promoting certified companies whilst probably advising against using anyone else?

Throughout the full range of trades, each has its cowboys so the security industry is no different. Many trades become a member of some organization such as The Master Guild of Craftsmen. Maybe if the security industry had a similar body, mainly for use by one man bands and other unapproved installers. Pay a one-off membership fee giving rights to the use of a logo and the company name entered in a register. Thats it, no inspections, rules, fees etc etc. If certain companies started getting complaints, they could be removed from the register.

Or whatever. At least it might help bring faith back into the industry from a customers perspective and avoid making it nearly impossible to start up on your own.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

It's all very well for people who run their own alarm company with NSI / SSAIB approval to moan about small time firms making a mockery of the industry. Fair enough there are many cowboys out there, but there are also a lot of people out their trying to build up a reputable company from scratch. How would anyone be able to do this if the media was flooded with adverts promoting certified companies whilst probably advising against using anyone else?

28620[/snapback]

I am in that position and still agree that accreditation should be pushed. It must, obviously, remain accessible to gain accreditation. Companies starting up could be screened to a certain degree to prove credibility and then given permission to use a modified logo (i.e "working towards").

These companies could continue doing 'bells only' untill accredited. I think this kind of 'screening' could help with the cowboys while still allowing new companies to trade.

Throughout the full range of trades, each has its cowboys so the security industry is no different. Many trades become a member of some organization such as The Master Guild of Craftsmen. Maybe if the security industry had a similar body, mainly for use by one man bands and other unapproved installers. Pay a one-off membership fee giving rights to the use of a logo and the company name entered in a register. Thats it, no inspections, rules, fees etc etc. If certain companies started getting complaints, they could be removed from the register.

Or whatever. At least it might help bring faith back into the industry from a customers perspective and avoid making it nearly impossible to start up on your own.

28620[/snapback]

They already exist! NIS and SSAIB. They just need publicising. I think not be inspected defeats the purpose of an inspectorate, though and to make sure companies registered with them are conforming to standards, inspections are crucial.

If you don't know......ask.

and some times things we say will return and bite us back

Georg

The post i referred to:

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/foru...wtopic=3989&hl=

i didn’t see the point in following Kippers post with a link to same. You have interesting views some of the time but im sorry a lot of the time you appear to post for the sake of seeing your own picture.

Peter

Read the quote! I don’t believe in PET detectors, but hey if they work for you. The two times a year argument referred to the seismic sensors on windows. Now i stand on this one Thunder, hail, balls & window cleaners will set these off and i don’t see the point of installing anything that can be activated from outside the protected area. The amount of vibration sensors we find on take over that have been de-sensitised or programmed out of systems. The Pet situation is my own preference, if an 80lbd dog can get passed it so can a thief.

I thought kippers post was good and thought deserved both an equal and opposing view; I didn’t reply to naf people off, just make them think

Regards

Jef

Customers!

28620[/snapback]

Some good points there, we have got to get rid of, or atleast minimalise the cowboys. A good idea to have some kind of body for the one man band, but there has got to be some inspection and somes rules or the cowboys will exploit it, so therefore there will have to be some fees.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Archived