Security Installer Community

Emergency Lights Fixing

alarmcom

An opinion please as a lad I used to work with thinks I should join a rough bunch electrical forum. 

I wired a emergency lighting system to a job last week. I used maintained as I thought the local wiring was really bad. I used white FP screw fixed and terminated into round plaster fix boxes.  

The fittings I fixed by drilling a 9mm hole either end of the fitting and using plasterboard fixings straight through the fitting into the ceiling using the collar as the support the cable entered the back of the fitting in the middle.

I have always fixed plastic to board this way and never considered it rough. I keep the screws for other things. What do you thinks

You just use FP on maintained fittings?

Its fast neat and complies with fixing cables in escape routes. Its the same as fire for me looks good when you see red and white installed opposed to red and grey launched in

yeah, welcome.

I don't understand?

only use fp for central batt systems

Doesnt matter for maintained.

Its fast neat and complies with fixing cables in escape routes. Its the same as fire for me looks good when you see red and white installed opposed to red and grey launched in

I don't understand?

Dont use it for non maintained, although loads of sparkies round here doing it.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

An opinion please as a lad I used to work with thinks I should join a rough bunch electrical forum. 

I wired a emergency lighting system to a job last week. I used maintained as I thought the local wiring was really bad. I used white FP screw fixed and terminated into round plaster fix boxes.  

The fittings I fixed by drilling a 9mm hole either end of the fitting and using plasterboard fixings straight through the fitting into the ceiling using the collar as the support the cable entered the back of the fitting in the middle.

I have always fixed plastic to board this way and never considered it rough. I keep the screws for other things. What do you thinks

Maintained because the wiring was bad ? and this comes from a man who uses worm fixings as the sole means of fixing !

As said above, you can only use FP when its a centrally powered system.

You would be up the road for been rough, sorry.

Edited by Simlec

Do your customers also know they are going to have unnecessary increased electricity bills and increased lamp failure rates.

Yes the lighting cost was established before I started the work and the annual running cost of LED at well under a £100 PA + The benefit of additional 24 hour lighting both internally and externally was seen as a plus.

Why do you think FP only suitable for Central battery?

You think just like my mate using just the worm is rough and just like my mate haven't said why. I have always fixed trunking this way and to me it's thinking out of the box as I only align and fix once rather than align mark plug realign and screw. Surely if it's securely fixed then how can it be rough? Guarantee I will remove any fitting screwed into a worm drive before mine can be removed.

moaning about which ever choice of fixing to me is a load og bollox

BUT, why you say 'why do you think' FP is only suitable for CB systems' the fact is, the regs used to say that.

We do not dream up why certain cables are used, do you not have a copy of the BS regs.

To say FP can ONLY be used on CB systems is bollox, but it used to be the genberal jist of BS regs.

moaning about which ever choice of fixing to me is a load og bollox

BUT, why you say 'why do you think' FP is only suitable for CB systems' the fact is, the regs used to say that.

We do not dream up why certain cables are used, do you not have a copy of the BS regs.

To say FP can ONLY be used on CB systems is bollox, but it used to be the genberal jist of BS regs.

i have access to regs but I should read them more. I normally use them as a reference when I don't understand. Thanks for thinking out of the box Adi. :)

Sounds harsh, but unless you read and understand them before you go servicing, theres not a lot of point putting the key in the ignition.

It's all unregulated anyway, bs just so insurance pays out and any excuse to not pay

****, you been smoking the hash pipe again.