Security Installer Community

Adt Wired Alarm Phone Over Power-Line

I currently have an ADT monitored alarm which is connected to my BT line.

I will shortly be moving my BT Master socket or moving to Virgin media and am trying to work out the cheapest option for retaining my alarm monitoring. As I see it I have 3 choices:

1. Buy a phone over power-line adapter to connect the alarm to. Does anyone have experience of this working?

2. Get ADT to move the alarm close to the new master socket.

3. Upgrade to a wireless ADT system.

The only option I will not consider is having a phone extension cable from my new master socket to where the alarm currently sits. This is one of the main reasons I am moving the master socket in the first place.

Any advice gratefully recieved on the best option. Also willing to drop ADT for a competitor if that works out cheaper. 

Yep nice black external grade cable never stopped me yet.

Unless you are 5 storeys up of course...

You could argue that route is not suitable for alarm use.

But then most of BT's bits are just as easy to rip out / off?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks for the replies.

I spent a fortune having pebbledash removed from my house so the idea of nasty black cables going round the house or worse still through my house up 3 levels is not something I am willing to consider.

I would rather ditch the monitoring than live with that ;)  That's why I gave the 3 options.

Thanks very much.

What a shame, I was hoping for a cheap phone over power-line adapter to give the box the phone signal. I assume this is not going to work from the replies. 

Hopefully they will go easy on me price-wise when I ask for an upgrade.

one problem with option 1 is they don't work in a power cut. Which might cause missed comms to the monitoring station. I also suspect know one has even tried due to this reason.

option 2 how big is the main control box (CIE) which will need mains electric. ( I do know how big it is. ) I would think its in current location to keep it safe and out the way.

Option 3 the sensors will be wireless but will still be hard wired in to the phone line.

So I am with the others on the GSM/GPRS advice.

Ah good point. I hadn't considered a power cut. 

option 2 how big is the main control box (CIE) which will need mains electric. ( I do know how big it is. ) I would think its in current location to keep it safe and out the way.

Location was decided by the location of the master socket. As this master socket is being moved to a kind of media centre cupboard the alarm could also sit happily in there if it is cheaper to move than to upgrade.

Option 3 the sensors will be wireless but will still be hard wired in to the phone line.

Sorry my bad explanation. The sensors are already wireless, I was actually referring to upgrading to GSM/GPRS. I just wasn't sure of the terminology. 

So ADT have been called and will send out a salesman tomorrow. Thank you all for helping me to prepare in advance. 

Well the controls could be moved if it's a wireless system, it depends if every devices is wireless. Should be more to an alarm than sensors.

Wireless phone extension will not work for a number of reasons, wouldn't even bother.

Let us know how it goes with your ADT rep.

The keypad is also wireless, the only part of the system I can see with any wires is the main box which is connected to the phone socket and a fused spur. 

Will definitely update the thread following the ADT rep visit.

A bit of a pain that they can't discuss over the phone. Hopefully he'll go gentle on price after a nice cup of tea...

Thank you. Will certainly update the thread after ADT rep visit.