Security Installer Community

Security Alarm System That Doesn't Provide Full Coverage

duffbeer2015

If he is paying extra on top of his rent then it is not free. I can recall our local council many years ago inviting people to have central heating fitted in their homes for a nominal fee on top of their rent and one in particular paid for that luxury several times over during the course of years...and like this current security system it was only half complete.

I bet it's not documented as such, very unlikely anyway.. but still not a leg to stand on, as PJ say's get some costing for additions that they feel comfortable with.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Hi all thanks for your replies, greatly appreciated. I've asked them for a decision on whether they will supply and fit another PIR or provide a price for an extra PIR that she can pay to have fitted and paired up with the alarm control unit. I will also get the manufacturer details so I can order one if they cannot do it.

It's free to the tenant but I believe the housing provider has paid the alarm company direct for the alarm to be supplied and fitted and monitored. If I had of known it was a basic system without covering the back I would have said something from the start and offered to pay something on top when the engineer was fitting it. It turned out that the paperwork was only given to the tenant when the system had actually been fitted on the day. The tenant is obviously thankful for it being free of charge (which includes the monitoring) and we appreciate it eliminates some risk,  but we had assumed it would cover the front and the back.

I agree, there is nothing much to steal in the bathroom - apart from a boiler and other usual bathroom equipment, it was mainly the loft that she is worried about incase she was to store anything up their.

Nothing is paid for it through the rent - or at least - they have said it was totally free of charge to the tenant and she hasn't agreed any service charge at all.

The contract will be between the Landlord and Security company, if they agree to install an additional detector I doubt they would do if FOC and if they do I would also expect the annual maintenance charge to rise slightly to cover the additional equipment. 

Loft access during or indeed to gain access to a premises is very rare ime.

Finally you wont be able to add your own for the reasons above and also it would need to be programmed onto the system.

Thanks norman. They have replied that because of costs they can't fit another PIR. They have also said another PIR could not be added to the system, which to me seems strange - can some of these wireless systems only accept

2 PIR's added?

I can't think of any wireless system that only takes 2 PIR's, I suspect some miscommunication from them.

I'd take comfort in the knowledge you have a couple of sensors, very unusual for a landlord to provide a monitored system, let alone FOC