Security Installer Community

Fire Output Temporary Omit...

Hi all,

Was hoping for some advice on an element of my system that I'm currently tweaking. I have several smokes attached to my system and a third party gsm dialler that calls out when fire/smoke is detected. The problem I have is that when I test the detectors, the dialler calls out for each test and this tends to not only annoy my key contacts (even though they are forewarned) but it costs a fair amount too!

I have been pondering a way of omitting the output in a straightforward and easy way so that the testing does not immediately cause dial out. I don't want a delay on the output firing as it would need to be substantial given the distance from the furthest smoke and the nearest keypad to it.

The output is +ve constant, going -ve on activation. I have a Menvier zone omit unit that 'seems' ideal for the situation - a simple key turn and the output doesn't fire whilst I test each detector. However, it appears the unit omits NC zones and mentions nothing of tolerating a 12v/0v outputs...

This is where I could use some advice! I have thought about relays that may help but I am not electronically minded with regard to relays so not sure.

The other solution is to go through the alarm menu each time i run a test and switch the output off - but this is time consuming and I would need to check carefully that I have put it back 'on line' after the testing...

Any thoughts?

Fit the zone omit unit to the N/C smokes circuit, not the dialler!

If you are using EOL resistors, these need to be fitted at the omit unit - as per the instructions.

Usually this could cause a problem if only using 4 core wiring etc... as it 'converts' the EOL to DP

but as it's smokes this should all be fine.

Make sure you use the facility to connect a buzzer or similar so it can't be left in test (omitted) without realising.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Fit the zone omit unit to the N/C smokes circuit, not the dialler!

If you are using EOL resistors, these need to be fitted at the omit unit - as per the instructions.

Usually this could cause a problem if only using 4 core wiring etc... as it 'converts' the EOL to DP

but as it's smokes this should all be fine.

Make sure you use the facility to connect a buzzer or similar so it can't be left in test (omitted) without realising.

I thought about that but I have several smokes on different floors so would need multiple units...

Point taken about the buzzer.

Assumed all on same zone, right.

What I have on a Menvier panel is all smokes on a shunt group so keying in '3333' is a shunt user which fires an output (buzzer)

but ignores the smokes.

I believe you could do this on a Texecom too, but never tried it. What make is your panel?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Assumed all on same zone, right.

What I have on a Menvier panel is all smokes on a shunt group so keying in '3333' is a shunt user which fires an output (buzzer)

but ignores the smokes.

I believe you could do this on a Texecom too, but never tried it. What make is your panel?

I have a Guardall PX48i

Never fitted one, sorry. I'm assuming you fitted it yourself and have the manuals etc...?

Is there any reference to shunt zones? Or can you not just out it into engineer test? Or is it like the old Menviers

where fire signals still go through even in Eng mode? (hence my Shunt Group workaround)

There are a number of isolate-able relays on the market, but most of them are made for 24v fire alarm systems. You could quite easily make your own using a momentary keyswitch, timer relay, reset button and buzzer but if you're not into electronics, you may be better off doing as SWB says and placing the dialler into some kind of hold off mode, although this has it's problems (forgetting to put it back online)

Trade Member