Security Installer Community

Need a new drill...

Deltaseven

Yup has never gone off except when i got late night 'visitors' now all i gotta do is work out a way of stopping them putting great big gouges under the handles of my sliding doors to get in. Cost our firm 600 quid to fix 2 doors last time only for the same 2 to be done again less than 2 months later.

25336[/snapback]

How about adapting one of these :ph34r:

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

How about adapting one of these

Believe me, that would give me great satisfaction if i could catch em before they drive off!! :realmad:

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

D7,

What sort of price range were you looking at?

I buy all my power tools from this place All-Tools

Regards

Bellman

25307[/snapback]

Hi mate,

Looking at around the £200 mark. Best prices so far from Screwfix and Tool Station (predictably...) But I may go for a cheepie to tide me over until I vsit Dubai in February, when I can pick one up tax free... Not decided yet tho!

Thanks all for the recommendations - Bosch seems to be shining through pretty well!

D7

Makita 24v SDS absolutly fantastic, can't fault it, could of drilled the channel tunnel out with it. Its a bit over your £200 mark though.

I agree, fantastic bit of kit, particularly love the charger with its little fan, sounds all hi tech and industrial, please feel free to comment on 'simple things please simple minds etc'!!!!

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Guest Putus Security Systems

We use Bosch no problems at all, have been looking at the Makita's which look very good, may change over to these for the more heavier stuff when the Bosches finally give up the ghost but showing no of signs yet.

Looked at Dewalts to find that they are American branded Black & Deckers in Wolfs clothing.

Regards

Shawn

24 Volt Makita SDS, hammer stop and rotary stop, can be used with a chisel - excellent bit of kit, 2 x 3.3Ah Nimh batteries - Brilliant! batts last forever

Also 18 volt bosch hammer drill with 2 batteries - batteries run down pretty quick, otherwise not bad but on 3rd chuck!

I got an Erbauer twin pack from Screwfix for one of our lads - 3 batts, not bad for relatively cheap kit.

Also got a 9.6 volt bosch just to use as screwdriver - nice to use but cr*p batteries.

Pays to shop around on internet.

Regards, John

Fire Member

Makita 24v SDS absolutly fantastic, can't fault it, could of drilled the channel tunnel out with it. Its a bit over your £200 mark though.

I agree, fantastic bit of kit, particularly love the charger with its little fan, sounds all hi tech and industrial, please feel free to comment on 'simple things please simple minds etc'!!!!

25405[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly! I like telling people "it's just the fan cooled battery conditioning system" when they ask what that noise is!

I've got a Makita 24V and it's got more grunt than my DeWalt mains SDS, and people who have used the Bosch 24V SDS in the past have commented on how the Makita is better balanced and more efficient\powerful than it. Mine will comfortably drill 25mm holes through outside walls without much effort. The DeWalt 24V SDS isn't a patch on the Bosch or Makita, although I've never used one for more than the odd hole or two but apparently the batteries haven't got much oomph in them.

I've also got a 14.4V Makita for smaller holes and a cheap £10 drill for screwdriving. It's very rare that anything with a mains lead ever comes out of the van nowadays!

We use a Hilti 36Volt drills, battery life is excellent and generally they go all day without charging, for our general dills we have Makita 9.6 volts and Dewalt 18 volts, both are very reliable.

Good place to buy power tools is http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/

Like most things if they are looked after and serviced regularly you get no problems, main down side with drills is the batteries, replacements are just so expensive compared to the original cost of the unit.

Colin.

Archived