Security Installer Community

Residential Cctv Setup

AdamW

Hi All,

Alongside a new alarm system, I am looking to install CCTV at my residential property.  I have never installed a CCTV system before and to be honest I am not up to speed with the systems.  Any pointers on useful reading would be great!

I have done a reasonable amount of Googling to understand the requirements and pros/cons of different systems but though I would come here for some specific advice.

The system I am looking to install will comprise of 2 (possibly 4) outdoor mounted cameras.  I have a preference for Dome style cameras.  I am not looking for ultra high definition, but a setup which is clear at both day and night is required, with 'good' video quality.  This is subjective of course, so what I essentially mean is video that can actually be used to identify intruders (if face visible of course) and not a grainy, unusable image.

I would like the ability to remote live view the cameras, but this is not essential, just a nice to have feature.  What I actually require is a system that is capable of recording and storing and event/s for a prolonged period of time.

As I understand it I require the cameras, a form of recording device (DVR) and cabling.  Is there anything else required?  

Budget - Not massive, but not super cheap either.

Is anyone able to offer advice on the type of systems that would suit these requirements?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by AdamW

if you are treuly looking to identify, you'll need a high definition system and 'best practice' bespoke system design. Maplin kits and the like will not cut it.

The other benefit of HD is that you can sometimes cut the number of cameras that would have been needed as analogue.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I'd be amazed if they didn't. True they still have the 'Trade Only' sign in the window but it doesn't stop cash sales when no questions are asked (i.e. always)

Why would they break from tradition.

And the other thing they're good at is giving JP better discount than trade.

EMSGeorge, thanks for the info.

It may be easier if I list the function and maybe you can suggest suitable products?

- IP Camera - Whats reasonable without going over the top and ultra HD etc?

- DVR/NVR - Which is better?  From my limited knowledge NVR is better as it can be networked to view from anywhere?  How is the data actually stored and how can it be accessed?  How long can these store video for?  Most occasions it will be 2 weeks away, but if it was 4 weeks how can this duration be stored?  A system that overwrites once full is fine, but I would not want it to overwrite any potential evidence should an incidence occur.

- Cabling - You mention cat5/6 - benefit of this rating?

- Camera psu - What is this for?

- hdmi / dvi monitor - Assume this is for live viewing.  Im not actually too concerned with this feature, unless it is actually a requirement for any system to function correctly?  As long as I can play back through PC at a later stage that is fine

- Network switch - What is this for?

Apologies for the seemingly obvious questions, but being new to the world of CCTV I would like to understand whats best for my requirements and what each piece of the jigsaw does.

If this is your questions AFTER extensive googling not being cheeky like but you may find it better value getting a professional in as you are pretty much guaranteed to make mistakes if you haven't done it before, and putting those mistakes right could easily cost you more than the extra cost of getting it done right in the first place with aftersales support too.

• Upvote 2