Security Installer Community

Best Dvr

kingkongdaz

That's it though, 5 mins for you, but not everyone is super computer savvy..... All of your "fitters" 100% nailed on with computer networking skills?? I doubt it, they'll get you to commission whatever.

Everyone has different skill sets, I love nothing more than thrashing in cables, getting into the nitty gritty, or maybe solving a decent fault.....

On a recent course I've been to, it highlighted to me most NSI gold co employees (certainly in the NW) are not fully IT savvy.

Edited by 9651

Fair play

Also going back to the op I think £25 is a fair price for port forwarding.

It's all very well saying it takes minutes, but that's bollox tbh. Trouble with domestic his there's far too many makes & models out there. Take the other day, I had two by home hub 3's. First one done was done in minutes, no problems.

Second one would not open for love nor money, must have spent an hour ******* about with it. Turns out its a type A that needs to have the item in the dchp table even if it' has a static address. The whole thing was just a pita compared to the type b that forwarded first time.

I've had this with Home Hubs pain in the ass.

The main thing I come across when setting up routers is getting the password if changed from default. Home hubs allow you to overide password but most others don't.

That's it though, 5 mins for you, but not everyone is super computer savvy..... .

Seems by the fact I spent 4 hours today (when I'm not at work) sorting out an issue for 1 of them, not as savvy as I would like.

****wit clearly doesn't understand ip ranges, subnets or gateways and managed to grind a spar to a halt for while by moving everything to a 192.168 network from what it was configured for as that the only range he knew and the DVR manaual said 192.168.x.x

****!

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

That's it.

A year ago I knew zilch, it's only with taking an interest, playing about with my own router etc, getting a basic grip, and now accompanied by a bit of training I've got the basics and can now fit ip CCTV, remote viewing etc pretty confidently.

Lots of smaller co's are stuck in their ways. That's the problem I've had, I've never needed to know anything about networking as I've never had to. We are moving forward slowly, but some of the guys from local co's who were sent on a networking course I was on knew nothing whatsoever ever, and were still none the wiser when they left.

Can't believe a chain like Spar would let someone else work on there network. Usually any sort of decent size firm will have there own I.T and all your given is I.P details to input.

And I wouldn't want to...... Edited by 9651

Since I started working for the Company I'm with now over the past 18 months I've learned so much with the ARC and doing more and more remotely monitored and IP CCTV systems. It also helps having our own in house I.T department to learn from and ask silly questions all the time. Everydays a school day for me but some people just do not want to move on.

Can't believe a chain like Spar would let someone else work on there network. Usually any sort of decent size firm will have there own I.T and all your given is I.P details to input.

From past experience, they really aren't that organised.

That said, you get the other extreme where nothing goes on the corporate network. You install your own. That's usually the better option.

Maybe I should move ;-)

If we're installing ip CCTV, we try and keep it on its own network. Everything is nicely labeled with our own patch colours etc.

If they want it integrating it's up to the clients IT dept.

Edited by 9651

We mange the WAN on these 2 spars so it's our network which we stupidly allowed the till co and a bunch of others use. Unusually it's on a 10.0 range and 255.255.0.0 subnet which has confused them and there is a gateway as the spars are in opposite sides of the carriageway so needs to route via the gw for some cameras.

Since I started working for the Company I'm with now over the past 18 months I've learned so much with the ARC and doing more and more remotely monitored and IP CCTV systems. It also helps having our own in house I.T department to learn from and ask silly questions all the time. Everydays a school day for me but some people just do not want to move on.

If we didn't have in house IT **** all would get done

Maybe I should move ;-)

If we're installing ip CCTV, we try and keep it on its own network. Everything is nicely labeled with our own patch colours etc.

If they want it integrating it's up to the clients IT dept.

But then it's YOUR DVR causing an issue on THEIR network and you always end up having to prove your innocence.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/