Security Installer Community

Happy

Oxo

is that allowed,i dont get involved in all that stuff but if you left your ipad or it was stolen from you while doing your thing how would that work..

It needs 2 form authentication so you would need my password and my security key to get into it. Annoyingly it kicks you out every 5 minutes, (unless you disable it)

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

It needs 2 form authentication so you would need my password and my security key to get into it. Annoyingly it kicks you out every 5 minutes, (unless you disable it)

tho if you were half way through doing something then it was snatched from you,granted some chav wouldnt know what to do,but if he  just starts tapping away could cause some damage..id have thought that sort of stuff would only be allowed on company premises

tho if you were half way through doing something then it was snatched from you,granted some chav wouldnt know what to do,but if he  just starts tapping away could cause some damage..id have thought that sort of stuff would only be allowed on company premises

It's a bit of a grey area. If you are using the ipad as a means to control a server in the secure premises then my view is that the computer doing the controlling is in the secure premises. The fact you are using a device such as an ipad or laptop to control it is irrelevant.

You have a very valid point though. It's like my new shiny app for jobs. That also allows in test, viewing of PIN numbers etc which in the wrong hands . . .

It's a bit of a grey area. If you are using the ipad as a means to control a server in the secure premises then my view is that the computer doing the controlling is in the secure premises. The fact you are using a device such as an ipad or laptop to control it is irrelevant.

You have a very valid point though. It's like my new shiny app for jobs. That also allows in test, viewing of PIN numbers etc which in the wrong hands . . .

i know a couple of panels that you can view the pin,not a fan myself either,i always step back and look away if i need the customer to put their code in

Just had a quick flick through the rules. It go's on about secure location and secure computer which as you point out should be at the alarm co premises/ARC. There is nothing about using devices outside the premises to control those machines. Another situation where the standard maybe isn't up to date with how people use devices. It is only a DD anyway.

If the data was on the laptop/ipad that would be a big no no but the fact there is no footprint on the device makes me feel a lot happier.

I would have thought that it would spook an end user but the end users that have seen our remote support used by engineers on site seem quite impressed rather than thinking about the security side of it.

Also wasn't the thread i was expecting after clicking the title

Nor me :proud:

Just had a quick flick through the rules. It go's on about secure location and secure computer which as you point out should be at the alarm co premises/ARC. There is nothing about using devices outside the premises to control those machines. Another situation where the standard maybe isn't up to date with how people use devices. It is only a DD anyway.

If the data was on the laptop/ipad that would be a big no no but the fact there is no footprint on the device makes me feel a lot happier.

I would have thought that it would spook an end user but the end users that have seen our remote support used by engineers on site seem quite impressed rather than thinking about the security side of it.

i can see the customers being ok with the engineer side of it as its in the protected area so to speak,but the other way i dont know as im not sure of the rules....anyway public matt,so dont say too much.. :proud:

The problem is the rules don't define the part which practically every engineer on call is doing which is controlling the secure server remotley, usually from home.

It doesn't make sense though for an eng on call to drive to work just to use a UDL package. We use 2 form authentication and a timeout which I think is ample security but there is nothing that stops someone using like teamviewer or log me and just having a password.

Liability wise though the alarm co would be in for it if that link was used for naughty things.

The problem is the rules don't define the part which practically every engineer on call is doing which is controlling the secure server remotley, usually from home.

It doesn't make sense though for an eng on call to drive to work just to use a UDL package. We use 2 form authentication and a timeout which I think is ample security but there is nothing that stops someone using like teamviewer or log me and just having a password.

Liability wise though the alarm co would be in for it if that link was used for naughty things.

i cant see a problem with an engineer being at home using it,technically its a place of work if hes based from home,the out and about in shops etc i thought would be a grey area.

Archived