Security Installer Community

Texecom Com-Gsm No Signal

squowse

Evening..

I recently upgraded my house alarm to a Texecom Premier Elite 24 polycarb model. So far so good, I am getting the hang of the programming and have got through the basics and have a working alarm. I then moved onto the GSM-COM unit. The signal strength is showing as -999dB or -113dB depending on whether you believe the keypad or wintex. The unit itself is flashing LED3 which means marginal signal I think?

Anyway I am getting errors COM2 - No signal and ATS Fault on the keypad and they will not reset.

The funny thing is after changing a few settings it suddenly started working  and I can send commands to the panel and receive notifications.

But I still have the system errors...

The alarm is near central manchester and mobile reception is generally excellent as you would expect. SIM card is vodafone and the aerial is near the front door so only has a floorboard and a wooden door panel between it and the outside world. I realise this is not ideal but the cable won't stretch up to the attic and I'm not going to put it outside! The signal measured on my phone is about -80dB.

I have a feeling there is not signal problem, just the panel is not reading it correctly.

If anyone would care to have a look at the configuration in case there is something I have missed please see the screen shots here - https://picasaweb.google.com/109312613228732886219/April222013Alarm?authkey=Gv1sRgCI-Gr4qhmu2ODg

thanks a million

Roger

Not sure on the issue but its not normally a good idea to have your signalling kit on the entry route.

have you put that sim in your phone. Plus can you temp put it outside to see if it works better there ti prove the system?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks for the reply - I don't want to put it somewhere it can be quickly damaged by an intruder - that's all.

Yes the sim is in and it is actually working, just the "no signal" messages on the keypad can't be cleared.

I will have to put the aerial outside somehow to test it.

The signal strength is variously reading as "marginal", -113 and -999 depending on where you look so it makes me think that something is not right in the connections/configuration.

Thanks

Roger

high gain aerial im thinking, they have longer leads also if i remember correctly.  play with the positioning, higher the better.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

I've moved the antenna outside (temporarily) and the LED3 on the COM-GSM is now steady indicating strong signal, so I don't think the aerial or the signal strength is a problem. The panel doesn't seem to be reading the signal strength correctly and throws up faults.

• 1 year later...

High gain aerials may help.

I have a system where the aerial has only to moved a very short distance to get adequate reception all the time or nothing, we are talking about a distance of no more than 10 cm between signal problem and no signal problem along a horizontal access, moving vertical higher the same distance seems to have little effect.  The closer to the outside wall the better the signal in this case. 

Although another gets better signal as it gets into the middle of the house (much larger distance several meters) and I have no idea why that should be the case, but same on the mobile, and the doorway to the kitchen down stairs is the best reception point after that its the front bedroom.

Just extend the fly lead between the com port and gsm module, should be able to get the gsm anywhere you want and you dont have to worry about signal loss due to length of aerial cable.

Just find out the best place for signal in the property and get the module wired to there.

Edited by secureiam