Security Installer Community

Product Idea - Ip Signalling

Steve Howard

Following from the numerous posts in the IP signalling thread above, I would love to hear some constructive (even if negative!) feedback on my idea for a low / mid market IP signalling product - both on the product itself and the suggested route to marketing. I realise that this is an area where there are all sorts of vested interests and history to influence things, but any information from an installers (or indeed end users) point of view would be welcome.

What I am suggesting is a low cost alarm signalling product that would signal using an existing wired IP connection - typically the customers home or business broadband. The unit would be a small metal box with a wired connection to the existing broadband router, and conventional wired connections to the alarm outputs of a panel (multiple connections if desired for tamper / zones / fire if supported). The box would require a small (100mA) 12 v supply taken either from the panel, from a mains PSU near to the panel, or power over ethernet from the router end. There would be zero configuration on the box itself (no buttons, just a status LED for display). 100% plug and play. The technical requirement from the broadband router would be a DHCP allocated IP address (if that means nothing to to you - that covers 99% of home and small business routers).

The box would send a heartbeat pulse every x seconds (say 30) proving it was alive, connected, and hadn't been sledgehammered.

When triggered by the panel inputs it would send the alarm - options being either to a (suitably receiver equipped) conventional ARC, or using an automated 'cloud' platform that would call or SMS pre-configured recipients. Configuration of the recipients, confirmation requirements, and calling preferences (by time of day, day of week) would be set using a secure online website (ie call Mr A during the week, Mr B weekend nights etc).

The (possibly novel) sales approach would be that the hardware for these units would be supplied by us FOC to installers, for them to install, again FOC on 'bells only' customers alarms typically during an annual service call. Installers could also use the 'free' device as a marketing ploy to assist in taking over other suppliers bells only installs for maintenance. On install the installer would sign up the customer to a service contract for monitoring, much like a mobile phone contract (price suggestions see below). we would pay the installer a commission for their trouble. My estimation is that the time required to install would be around 30 minutes.

With an automated alerting system (ie no ARC cost), I would aim for a price point of perhaps £10-15 per month on a 'reasonable length' (as yet undefined) contract. The installer would still 'own' that customer, and could if they preferred collect the payment themselves (monthly / annually).

Possible variants and upgrades and variants for the future would be:

1) Charging for the hardware upfront, possibly to include a years 'free' monitoring.

2) A second redundant signalling path using multi operator GSM/ GPRS

Clearly there are a whole pile of industry approvals that one could choose to go through to get various accreditations - the idea initially is that the product would be offered as a simple low cost improvement on bells only, but there's no reason why further approvals couldn't be obtained. CE marking / LV directive would of course be offered from day one!

I fully understand that this is not the answer to every monitoring requirement, and the Bank of England are not likely to be signing up as the first customer. I guess my questions (although any observation welcome) are:

Do you see a need or requirement in the market?

Would you recommend it (and if so / if not why)?

What do you see the key barriers being?

Finally this isn't a sales pitch (as per forum rules) - although I DO have a product that already does this I could sell you today (used for equipment monitoring), that is not the intention - this post is deliberately without any email addresses or links that might be construed as an advert. Also if your response is a 'this wont work because' then your reply IS very welcome, but let's keep it factual and on topic, and not make too many assumptions regarding anything not stated here (eg pedigree of company offering it, or unqualified 'its more complex than you think').

Many many thanks in advance for all and any replies!

It doesn't break any rules as far as I can see currently.

There is a demand for this but your pricing puts you into competition with current big players. Plus some manufacturers of panels are doing this very soon as part of the control equipment. The way I see it we would like a reliable and type service for a low yearly fee. Bear in mind we ourselves are security geeks and don't mind paying for a service ourselves. However the general public don't.

Plus as a side note are all you ip signalling guys called Steve? We had another member some years ago offering a similar idea Steve nutt if I recall correctly.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Have always thought Steve was a suitably bland IT name! Maybe in hindsight I should have left off the pricing suggestion - or to turn it around, what do you see a 'low cost' market price to be and what 'commission' do you think installers would want to see (one off or over time?) to be the sales channel for it?

I see it a month

Fair enough - do you see the end user paying for this kit to be installed themselves at that level, or is the installers fee still coming from 'us' - if so how much to make it 'worth it' ?

(Sorry if this is not right for public, but we're fairly theoretical still, and I'm not a full trade person (yet?) anyway!)

Archived