Security Installer Community

Product Idea - Ip Signalling

Steve Howard

Probably sits exactly where stand alone GSM dialler units sit. Perhaps if M2M SIM and service platform were provided, then a small margin could be squeezed from there. I've looked at adding GSM backup path to a product, but haven't gone there based on cost/benefits. I'm currently studying background IP polling stats to see how reliable IP polling is for customers who chose to self monitor.

Steve, you asked for a guide and I gave you 6-700. Unlike an end user who only remembers the lowest as a sales you used the highest. My guide was for maintenance and monitoring you appear to have read this as monitoring.

Now I have tested such devices as you describe and you are missing some important criteria a lot of which is listed above. The bells only market is IMO generally tosh and we don't even subscribe. It will likely never agree to maintenance never mind monitoring of anything more than a text or other messaging service. Next and again all this is described above you missed on the UDL and remote maintenance aspect and just touching on approval you had little chance of getting an obscure product receiver into any ARC all this without discussing industry protocol types for transmission events.

I have a small device similar to your description imported from Hungary which is purpose made for the alarm industry. It gets around most problems by using dial capture, I can set the polling and all sorts of other things but it just won't be accepted by a main stream ARC.

Customers!

My guide was for maintenance and monitoring you appear to have read this as monitoring.

You are right - I did misread that, it did seem insanely high! Apologies.

Your point about getting an 'obscure' product into an ARC is at least in part what I meant at the outset about vested interests throughout the industry (having just read the long SSAIB / Watchdog thread!).

I really saw this new product as a low cost product to 'upgrade' bells only, but you seem to be suggesting that this market effectively doesn't care - and I certainly don't have any industry experience to counter that, although to spend £100s on a system and then not go the final mile for it to do its job seems silly to me!

I guess ultimately we are talking different markets maybe - if a customer is paying £700 on an already installed system, then the few £100s this IP approach can save simple won't matter (I guess!)

PS Have tried to apply for trade accesss, but emails to the approvals address are bouncing with a server error. Have PMed one of the mods.

Archived