Security Installer Community

Is This Taking It A Little Too Far?

A friend of mine that I did some CCTV work for his pub is also involved in a luxury apartment block in London (has a lot of money involved)

He has a huge say in this tender that has been put out for CCTV. They have done some home work with this as the tender document is 11 pages long and states that you can only use certain manufactures of equipment.

I was just reading it and saw this:

The control equipment is to be located in the Under Croft and enclosed in a suitable large IP 55 electrical enclosure with accessories for securely mounting all the equipment and locking the cabinet. The cabinet should be securely fixed to the wall and floor.

The cabinet should be equipped with a small ceramic heater on a thermostat to ensure that the air temperature inside remains at 10°C or above and to control moisture from condensation.

The thermostat should have outputs for max and min temperature for connection to the alarm input on the NDVR to provide an e-mail warning if the temperature gets close the environmental limits for the DVR ie 5°C- 40C°.

The equipment is being installed in the lobby area under some stairs!!! so it will be indoors anyway and is going to be in a cabinet.

involved in a luxury apartment block in London (has a lot of money involved)

being a touch cynical. I would be very careful with large scale development as you can spend an great deal of time & effort to not win the job, or worse still win it & not get paid

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

They have had other quotes which they report was really over the top. Have not been to site to see as he is in the USA and not back till April so not going out there till then to look.

The amount of time that I have wasted on tendering for the larger contracts has been a joke, I just don't think people want to spend the money these days or it could just to be me :)

I always go out to site (those that are happy for this!) have a look and give my recommendations for what I think is the best. I give my recommendations above what they have on there tender as it is a floor plan or site map designed by someone that thinks this is what we need.

But saying that the ones I have won before they always go by there tender sheet and not what we recommend.

I have started to play down many tender jobs now as it just wastes my time and as you say Mr Happy you just seem to put time & effort in for nothing.

I did one just before xmas a 3 floor office block being completely ripped out had the big names out there all quoting 10k plus for CCTV we went in at 7 1/2k and still to this day have not heard a thing chased it many times and being told still with the directors for a decision. (take that as a NO then)

I am finding even the smaller 1-2k jobs are taking ages to sign off stage these days.

Archived