Security Installer Community

Eurosec Cp8L Lcd - Extra Keypad Install

Alarmed

Hey Guys

I just had a new alarm installed. I will be adding an extra keypad when it arrives - a Eurosec CP8L LCD. The extra keypad will be used upstairs in my house for part setting at bedtime:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/security-accessories/4930898/ the cable is all in situ (4 wires) from the panel to the new keypad location and the installer told me all I need to do is to parallel the new keypad across the existing one:

D1

D2

OV

+12V

My question is in the wiring notes the manual says "The 680Ohm resistor (provided) must be fitted across 12V &D1 at the last keypad in line". I only have one keypad zone and just want them both to do the same thing (from different locations). So does this note concern me or not. The installer suggested it was a simple 4 wire to 4 wire connection.

Also when I connect the new keypad should I power the system off (mains) and remove the battery or do it 'live'...? I am ok with electronics and know how to avoid mains areas (just don’t want to blow anything up)!

Kind regards

Robert

you will need the resistor but id assume you will have to remove the one on the board in the panel, then have a resistor in each keypad. It is unusual for the installer advise you to do this yourself.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

you will need the resistor but id assume you will have to remove the one on the board in the panel, then have a resistor in each keypad. It is unusual for the installer advise you to do this yourself.

You only need one resistor, it must already be installed in the existing rkp if its a working system. The idea is to daisy chain the rkps and have the resistor eol. It will work in star on short runs though.

Hi Guys

Yes just to clarrify.

The system has one keypad already (all works great) I want to add an additional keypad upstairs. The wiring is in place. I am unsure what I need to do regarding the resistor in the new (to be added keypad). Do I leave it in the new keypad and just wiring it in or do I have to remove a resistor from somewhere?

Sorry if I wasnt clear on this point. The installer just said the keypads would daisy chain but I found this note regarding the 680Ohm resistor so I want to be sure.

I think this is what alterEGO is specifing above (leave the resistor in the oiginal keypad but remove the one from the new to be added keypad)??? The cable run will be around 20feet max.

Please can you clarify this point for me?

Thanks

Robert

Brilliant!

So if the resistor is already fitted in the new keypad (the one I plan to install upstairs I'll remove it). In fact the panel install manual says the 680Ohm resistor is "provided" with the new key pad so I assume its just loose in the box. If thats the case I dont need to do anything.

Just a thought however, I guess the installer should have fitted one in the keypad that came with the main panel...? Or is that already done on keypads that come with panels?

My other point is can this install (4 wires - 0V, 12V and the 2 data lines) be done live (with appropriate care) or should it be powered off at mains and with battery removed?

Thanks again for the help.

Regards

Robert

Archived