Security Installer Community

Home Alarm With Web Interface?

jaykay1975

Thanks for posting all the various comments and opinions. There are many reasons why I want to arm / disarm / monitor my system over the web. Working away from home a fair bit, I like to keep an remote eye on mi casa. I have remote access to my CCTV, I have remote access to switch lights on and off and play music through the home system if needs be... all via my phone / laptop wherever I am in the world. Sure, some might say that’s not going to prevent a burglary, of help me sort out the mess after one, but it all helps me sleep a bit better when I'm not there physically.

Unfortunately I don’t have the time to fully automate the house, but to get an e-mail (copied to local friends or family) about what part of my alarm has been activated and at what time, should be possible. My neighbours have a set of keys, but I don’t want them having the alarm details and have to train them on how to use it ... so to be able to disarm and arm remotely would help there.

I just feel (from my own research) that the solutions in this particular sector (domestic security) are archaic and the entire sector has been massively slow to move on. The technology is there right now, and available at a very low cost! As long as you can do some very basic wiring for a few sensors / PIR’s etc, you should be able to buy a nice simple (but robust) back end solution to plug them all into.... plug-n-play (seriously!).... web interface to configure your entire set-up with a graphical front end, all complying to highest internet security standards ... It can all be done today. I thought someone on this forum was going to tell me it had already been done. (if not – there certainly has to be a big gap in the market for someone savvy enough).

It's not really about the 'savvy', it's about the regulations and there are many. There are many systems out there from the cheap and nasty to the professionally graded products that do what you require.

As far as web based control, it just so happens that I was talking to a Swedish company the other day, and they have a web based management suite in the works for the Galaxy range. Basically a web based implementation of RSS/UMS. Not sure if this will be approved Europe wide though.

id agree the industry seems slow to respond but if you look at security via the it world they are even slower to allow access. We need to remember that security is the key bit here not convenience. however i do agree we need more. But not at the expense of security.

gal guy. there is no way under the current regs that will be permitted. But i can say its being discussed at a high level reg wise. There are many things that need to be in place first. My own belief is that it should use ssh and certs but there are various options. Im anti http currently

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Well my life will only be complete when the iflush app hits the market for the WiFi wc....

make do with a Wii instead?

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Archived