Security Installer Community

Problem With Door Contacts With Scantronic Ion 40 Panel

andyh747

Panel: Scantronic iON 40

Contacts: CQR FC508

Hi all,

I have the above alarm system installed in a new build. I'm having real problems with one door which has two contacts installed as an FSL system. The door has two contacts as it is a barn style door split in the middle and I therefore wanted to protect both parts of the door. The system worked fine for several months but then I was unable to arm as the door was reporting being open. I checked the gap on the contacts and even moved them closer. After playing about with some spare magnets I managed to get the system working again. I'm assuming the contacts were stuck in the open position. However the problem happened again a few weeks later. I had initially used the on board resistors inside each contact and therefore decided to try using separate resistors which I installed at the panel end. This seemed to work and again all was well for several weeks. Then the problem happened again. I checked all wiring but couldn't get the contacts to work. I decided to eliminate one contact and simply use a single contact on the door. This seemed to work for a while but the problem has returned again. I'm now at a loss to explain this behaviour. I even tried changing contacts and wiring to a different zone. Same result. I also have another door with two contacts wired in the same way but these have been fine. However the second set of doors are not used often whereas the problem door is in continual use.

Anyone suggest whether this is a contact problem or could it be the panel? The fact the panel is working with oth wired contacts would suggest the door contacts at fault. Can anyone suggest another make of contacts to try?

Thanks for any help.

Have you tried changing the contacts for a different model? We've had a few problems, mainly with them "sticking" closed circuit, so for what it's worth, I'd change them both. May also be worth swapping the problem zone with the other zone that has the contacts on it that's OK just to prove the panel...

Trade Member

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay. The forum wasn't sending me automatic reply notifications!

I'll change both contacts but not sure which ones to go for. Have double checked the gaps and they are definitely close enough. I emailed the contact manufacturer CQR and they said the contact might be struggling due to interference from the uPVC door. They asked if there was a spacer between the contact and the door frame which there isn't. They suggested trying a different contact.

Any suggestions on a replacement?

On the subject on not using resistors in the panel, this is the opposite advice of Cooper Security who's technical advisor said the opposite and NOT to use the onboard resistors. He said you should always install the resistors at the panel end.

you should not connect the resistors at the panel. It wont affect it working but it wont comply and wont protect the cable as they are designed to do. Im assuming you misunderstood him as that is defiently wrong.

What have you got currently. Id recommend elmdene contacts but use the built in resistors

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

No didn't misunderstand him as we discussed in detail about wiring up contacts for use in a set of double doors. I explained we had contacts with builtin resistors and he specifically said not to use them. They said to fit the resistors at the panel.

Anyway I can change this easily so not a problem. Elmdene contacts look similar to CQR. Looking at their website the most suitable for FSL connection to double doors is either the 6QFC or the 6FM2. Only drawback I can see compared to the CQR one is the lack of a tamper circuit. Those with a tamper circuit aren't suitable for double doors as far as I can see.

its easier for him to talk you through the wiring if you put the resistors in the panel. But its still wrong.

Tamper circuit wont make a difference on single or double doors.

ALso the instructions detail how to wire a double contact onto one circuit using the resistors

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Just to reinforce what James said, the resistors go at the detector. no point having eol/fsl resistors fitted anywhere else

the fsl contacts with internaal resistors will be suitable if you can remove the 2k2 one from one of em, otherwise you are correct

Archived