Security Installer Community

12V Door Magnet Wiring Help

Hi All,

I've stumbled across the forum and I'm hoping someone can assist. I have a 12v Door magnet that is going to be used to hold the door closed at all times. It is broken by a switch to exit the door. At the minute I have it all wired up and functioning. However I only have one switch which is useless if you are on the other side of the door............

Would someone be so kind as to help me with instructions on how to wire in a second switch to all the magnet to be broken from both sides of the door? I have the owners manual diagram and a list of the connections I have made if it helps?

You need a coded entry or a card reader and run your positive feed thru a normally closed relay.

If you simply put another switch/release button on then anyone can come and go and you needn't of bothered putting a lock on!

You need a coded entry or a card reader and run your positive feed thru a normally closed relay.

If you simply put another switch/release button on then anyone can come and go and you needn't of bothered putting a lock on!

It's actually an inner door that residents don't want a key for. The outer access door has a card reader etc. It's more to stop the door from being ajar, or being left open. At times when the building is vacant there is a mortice lock that can be used on the inner door. With that in mind what do I need to wire in two switches?

It's actually an inner door that residents don't want a key for. The outer access door has a card reader etc. It's more to stop the door from being ajar, or being left open. At times when the building is vacant there is a mortice lock that can be used on the inner door. With that in mind what do I need to wire in two switches?

if using just plate switches you need a 3 way switch

but kinda think this is want you should have got?

DoorCloser1.jpg

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

if using just plate switches you need a 3 way switch

but kinda think this is want you should have got?

DoorCloser1.jpg

We do have that as well............

It is a long story to be honest. Originally the outer door had a VIDEX key pad. When the code was entered the outer door magnet broke and the inner door 12v mortice broke. This was timed. That worked perfectly until half the kids on the street were given the code by a fellow resident. In addition once in the grounds of the building if the timer had timed out on the mortice you had to use a key. Obviously this is perfectly acceptable and secure. However one family decided it was too much hassle to carry a key and do this, the same one whose kids dished out the code to all and sundry.........

So a card reader was installed outside and a button was installed on the wall outside the door that allowed you to break the 12v mortice at any time saving you using a key. This however is now broken. Fellow residents like the idea of a magnet lock like we have on the outer door so that's what they'd like fitted.

So with the life story disclosed what exactly is this switch? I currently have one of these;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-1g-2w-retractive-switch-marked-press-to-exit/95001

I have managed to wire this in so it works as it should. All I need to know is how to add another switch to be located on the outside of the door.

The exit button just breaks one of the 12v feeds to your maglock. Simply continue this feed through the second exit button before it goes to the maglock. Eg.. -ve goes straight to the lock and +ve goes via the 2 exit buttons and then to the lock. If you put them back to back it should be pretty simple!

The exit button just breaks one of the 12v feeds to your maglock. Simply continue this feed through the second exit button before it goes to the maglock.

Exactly.

Wire as many PTE switches as you like (within reason) but they have to be normally closed/momentarily open and the wiring has to be in series.

It's just not normal having a push button on the unsecure side of the door. There called "push to exit" for a reason.

I see no reason to have a maglock on the inner door if there's a button both sides. The door closer on it's own should be sufficient.

Exactly.

Wire as many PTE switches as you like (within reason) but they have to be normally closed/momentarily open and the wiring has to be in series.

It's just not normal having a push button on the unsecure side of the door. There called "push to exit" for a reason.

I see no reason to have a maglock on the inner door if there's a button both sides. The door closer on it's own should be sufficient.

You guys are preaching to the converted, honestly :rolleyes: They think if the door is closed it's 'secure' obviously it's not but that's the way they see it. I'm going to suggest the keypad system as well.

Archived