Security Installer Community

Removal Of Optima Xm

Hi, I have a very old Optima XM system that we don't use and needs removing. It is a eye-saw in the hallway and want to get rid before we redocorate.

I would like to retain the external box and flashing LED, but remove the alarm box. Is this a DIY job -if not what is the best way to get a reliable installer in to do the job - and what would a reasonable charge be?

Thanks

Mike

Hi, I have a very old Optima XM system that we don't use and needs removing. It is a eye-saw in the hallway and want to get rid before we redocorate.

I would like to retain the external box and flashing LED, but remove the alarm box. Is this a DIY job -if not what is the best way to get a reliable installer in to do the job - and what would a reasonable charge be?

Thanks

Mike

The led wont flash anymore as its powered from the control panel

Removal of the system is not that hard for a competent person but my interpretation of competent could well be very different from yours.

If you are not confident with electrical work, then i would phone three local companies and ask them how much they would charge. Different parts of the country have different price structures, expect £50 per hour would be the cheapest and £120.00 the dearest, guessing 2 hours would be the max.

Alternate to removing the panel you could ask for a quote to replace and reposition the control panel, and have a remote keypad in its place, the leds will still flash and if someone breaks in the alarm will go off (Assuming you set it of course). After all the fact that the previous owner had the system fitted in the first place would suggest that possibly he either had a burglary/attempted burglary, or there was a burglary locally.

The led wont flash anymore as its powered from the control panel

Removal of the system is not that hard for a competent person but my interpretation of competent could well be very different from yours.

If you are not confident with electrical work, then i would phone three local companies and ask them how much they would charge. Different parts of the country have different price structures, expect £50 per hour would be the cheapest and £120.00 the dearest, guessing 2 hours would be the max.

Alternate to removing the panel you could ask for a quote to replace and reposition the control panel, and have a remote keypad in its place, the leds will still flash and if someone breaks in the alarm will go off (Assuming you set it of course). After all the fact that the previous owner had the system fitted in the first place would suggest that possibly he either had a burglary/attempted burglary, or there was a burglary locally.

Agreed.

Also bear in mind your house insurance may require an alarm or your premium maybe reduced with a system fitted. Especially if maintained by an NSI or SSAIB installer.

Agreed.

Also bear in mind your house insurance may require an alarm or your premium maybe reduced with a system fitted. Especially if maintained by an NSI or SSAIB installer.

Thank you Peter.

That is helpful, good point about the Insurance , but not relevant in our case.

I think i have decided to remove the unit -it is wired into the fuse board but am happy to diconnect as I have done similar jobs before. I think I will get a 12v transformer and wire the external alarm box power supply into that to keep the LED working.

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

Thank you Peter.

That is helpful, good point about the Insurance , but not relevant in our case.

I think i have decided to remove the unit -it is wired into the fuse board but am happy to diconnect as I have done similar jobs before. I think I will get a 12v transformer and wire the external alarm box power supply into that to keep the LED working.

Many thanks

You could fit a 12v PSU but you already have one in the shape of your Optima. REMOVE ALL POWER including disconnecting the battery inside the panel. Remove the keypad, noting which colours go where and re fit it next to the panel. Re connect the mains and battery, close the door and reset the system. Chances are it won't be programmed for engineer reset so your code should work fine. Hey presto, job done!

This way you keep your outlay to a minimum (pretty much zero in fact) and you can have the job done in an hour or so.

"They put me in a box with my coat on! I know it doesn't sound much.."

Archived