Security Installer Community

Broadband Dropping & One Way Transmission On Phone

Bean123

Hi folks..I am at the end of my tether. I have broadband 2 meg from Jersey Telecom. For approx 5 months I have loads of bother. They are trying to fix it but it appears to be a dead end. My broadband keeps dropping out which increases in the evening. When I do have it I can't online game and struggle to stream. My ping is on average in the 200's but it has been 2145 and my jitter is in the 400's. I sometimes get packet loss of 4%. My phone line drops or I get one way transmission where i hear them but they can't hear me.

Soultions so far router was changed to a netgear DGN 1000.

Internal wiring changed with new filters, new home phone too, ringers removed

External cables changed complete to the exchange

put on ADSL 2

my upload speed can be as low as 1.3

any help gratefully recieved :-)

When a connection is less than optimal you may have to specifically tweak the configuration of your modem to either improve latency or throughput - Sadly once you have a poor connection it can result in a choice between the two.

Which is more important to you? Latency for your gaming or throughput for your downloads?

Given that your current supplier is ADSL and that you have already taken some steps to improve matters (e.g. ADSL2 router etc) can you confirm some basic steps so that we can try and help improve things?

1) Alternative device on the same router - Are all devices suffering from the same poor performance or is it just one machine?

2) No router - Try a direct connection to your PC / Laptop without the router in between - Does this make any difference?

3) Perform speed tests - Do one from one of the major sites and post the results here along with time of day when you ran it please?

4) Compare with others - Is everyone in your locality facing the same issue? How far away from the exchange are you? (samknows.com can help)

5) Contention - You stated that it seems to get worse in the evening, given your location it may be that there is a contention issue? Query this with your telecom provider and ask them if there is an issue with contention currently at peak usage times

6) Speeds - You said your upload can be 'as low as 1.3' - 1.3 what??? 1.3MB? upload speeds will generally be proportionally lower than download rates and are only impactful if you are regularly serving data or hosting a server of some form - Not usually an issue for the average user. Can you confirm what speed package you are currently paying for and what you are expected to get in terms of doanload & upload within that package ideally. With ADSL it is not unusual to get less than optimal speeds by a significant amount.

7) SNR - Are you aware of your current SNR value? If not ask JT to do a 'whoosh test' and let you know the current value and attenuation. This and the distance factor may mean that your connection might perform more effectively at a lower fixed speed.

Good luck

'J

btn_myprofile_160x33.png

When a connection is less than optimal you may have to specifically tweak the configuration of your modem to either improve latency or throughput - Sadly once you have a poor connection it can result in a choice between the two.

Which is more important to you? Latency for your gaming or throughput for your downloads?

i prefer to be able to game

Given that your current supplier is ADSL and that you have already taken some steps to improve matters (e.g. ADSL2 router etc) can you confirm some basic steps so that we can try and help improve things?

1) Alternative device on the same router - Are all devices suffering from the same poor performance or is it just one machine?

I only have my lap top and it works fine in friends places

2) No router - Try a direct connection to your PC / Laptop without the router in between - Does this make any difference?

tried that didnt make any difference unfortunately

3) Perform speed tests - Do one from one of the major sites and post the results here along with time of day when you ran it please?

speed test ran at 2145 ping 70 download 1.60 upload 0.3

4) Compare with others - Is everyone in your locality facing the same issue? How far away from the exchange are you? (samknows.com can help)

apparantly there is one other property that has similar issues but have been told i am an annomly!!

5) Contention - You stated that it seems to get worse in the evening, given your location it may be that there is a contention issue? Query this with your telecom provider and ask them if there is an issue with contention currently at peak usage times

will ask the engineer this tomorrow

6) Speeds - You said your upload can be 'as low as 1.3' - 1.3 what??? 1.3MB? upload speeds will generally be proportionally lower than download rates and are only impactful if you are regularly serving data or hosting a server of some form - Not usually an issue for the average user. Can you confirm what speed package you are currently paying for and what you are expected to get in terms of doanload & upload within that package ideally. With ADSL it is not unusual to get less than optimal speeds by a significant amount.

sorry the 1.3 was mb and thats download i am supposed to get 2mb i will ask re upload

7) SNR - Are you aware of your current SNR value? If not ask JT to do a 'whoosh test' and let you know the current value and attenuation. This and the distance factor may mean that your connection might perform more effectively at a lower fixed speed.

my snr is currently 7.7

Good luck

'J

I really appreciate the time you took to answer me..thank you

Archived