Security Installer Community

Nokia And Ms Windows Phone 7

james.wilson

Nokia have definitely disappointed the open source/Linux world, including myself.

I do agree that something needed to be done about SymbianOS and Windows Mobile is an important deal for the company.

But I feel, Nokia will release its upcoming MeeGo phone under development and then move on; the departure of Nokia's MeeGo team manager has emphasized this.

Hopefully the development of (Maemo/MeeGo) Fremantle/Harmattan will continue.

I don't think I would get a Windows Mobile, as mentioned there are so many important things in can't do yet.

I'll be sticking to my Fremantle for the foreseeable future.

Worse than I thought, there are some serious drawbacks in there.

Seems Windows Phone 7 was built from scratch, no bad thing imo as I thought Windows Mobile was a Pocket PC with a phone app and was awful as a phone (had not used the later versions though).

Agree that something that integrates with how the office runs is the most desirable but it seems that Win Phone 7 is not it, at least not yet. I believe Windows Phone 7 will develop quickly but I also believe that the way the office runs will change, the likes of Android will make more sense then imo.

there is a belief that ms paid nokia to jump to its platform instead of android. Plus it will allow nokia to change the i/f if they want to. Something MS have denied any other manufacturer with wp7

Agreed there is no multi tasking for 'after' market apps but it can mutltask core functions. THis will be addressed soon but i think this will affect battery life more than the current way. Id prefer the option as im not sure that multitasking is such a big deal as long as certain things continue in the background.

Copy and paste. Id agree poor. They said it wasnt needed but it is.

Im pretty sure my next phone will be wp7 and probably built by nokia.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

there is a belief that ms paid nokia to jump to its platform instead of android. Plus it will allow nokia to change the i/f if they want to. Something MS have denied any other manufacturer with wp7

Agreed there is no multi tasking for 'after' market apps but it can mutltask core functions. THis will be addressed soon but i think this will affect battery life more than the current way. Id prefer the option as im not sure that multitasking is such a big deal as long as certain things continue in the background.

Copy and paste. Id agree poor. They said it wasnt needed but it is.

Im pretty sure my next phone will be wp7 and probably built by nokia.

What do you think of the HTC 7 Pro that happy posted.

looks grand but i dont like landscape keyboards. IF i had to pick a device now it would be the dell portrait qwerty wp7, but im hopeful nokia will make a bb torch like wp7 device. I want a full size touch screen like my desire, but i want a portrait qwerty.

Plus its a damn site easier for me / us to develop on wp7 than android is.

to be fair i think android is a great platform but it isnt perfect. depends what you want to do with the phone. I like the look of the new displays that can use a normal stylus for precision, but work like capacitive touchscreens with touch. So suits me as by then they will be out.

but now id get

Dell_Venue_Pro_QWERTY_Slider_runs_Windows_Phone_7.jpg

Id prefer the option as im not sure that multitasking is such a big deal as long as certain things continue in the background.

Lived with the iPhone not multitasking for long enough and I was a late adapter, its possibly one of those things you would not miss until its gone but I can well remember being in the middle of something when the phone rings and the application force closes loosing the data you have entered or using skype and the call is cut off, more than an inconvenience if you ask me.

To be fair, when was the last time you had a phone that did not multitask?

last nokia i had lol

on wp7 it doesnt close just goes to sleep. You can set off where you were again. What would bother me is no background email etc. I dont think i run anything in the background that i wouldnt class as 'core' and id prefer the better battery life. I have a task killer that does the same on android else one app can hog cpu etc and nail the battery. Many would judge the phone or the os rather than the app

Archived