Security Installer Community

LG GDK-16 KSU

Service Engineer

Someone else here has suggested the cable run between buildings may be standard quad and not twisted pair which they say could increase the chance of crosstalk between the data and voice circuits. 

48258[/snapback]

Ah, now we're getting there. ;)

When you say voice and data circuits you mean the cables for the telecoms run with ethernet network cabling? Sounds like crosstalk to me if they do, maybe shielded links between buildings or some re-routing a bit further away from the data circuits, or both could cure it.

Guest TKSYS

Hi again,

The voice and data circuits I meant were the two pairs going to the keystation (old analogue system with separate voice and data pairs) - it was suggested to me that if the cable running to the other building was the old-style quad (ie 4 wires, not twisted in pairs) it may introduce crosstalk between what should be two separate circuits

I've checked through the GSX manual, they give max lengths for station cable runs, they say to use twisted two pair. Limits are for 0.4mm/26AWG max length is 150m/500 foot; 0.5mm/24AWG max is 300m/1000 foot; 0.6mm/22AWG max is 460m/1500 foot. If the OHVA function is going to be used, and extra pair is required to each station.

They recommend using 0.5mm twisted three pair to each station.

Given the age of the buildings, I would suspect that the cable run could be done in the old quad

My plan now is to take down a box of Cat 5 (305m box) and connect a keystation through it to the test point frame to simulate a long run using twisted pair. If it works properly, will have found the cause, just have to replace the cable run :(

Thanks for your suggestions/responses, pretty much agrees with the way I'm heading now

Rob Horman

Tern Key Systems

With you now, what you say above seems to make sense. I'd agree that Cat5e cable should cure it, standard telephone cabling is Cat3 so you're going to be 2 over!

Good luck with it.

• 11 months later...
Guest simple
Just got me an LG GDK-16 KSU with 2x LKD-30D Key telephone units.

The Programming Instructions make the unit look super complicated to set up.

Might have a go at fitting it next weekend :)

How is this unit rated for a small home phone exchange...?

hello dave i just got hold of an lg gdk 16 telephone system secondhand but it didn,t have a manual

with it i wondered if you could print me a copy of yours as i tried every where for a copy can you help im desperate

hello dave i just got hold of an lg gdk 16 telephone system secondhand but it didn,t have a manual

with it i wondered if you could print me a copy of yours as i tried every where for a copy can you help im desperate

• 4 months later...
Guest Lee Willis AEL

Hi, just got a GDK 16 for our office but did not get install manual, do you no were I can down load one from ? cheers,

• 3 weeks later...
Jul 27 2004, 12:16 AM: Just got me an LG GDK-16 KSU with 2x LKD-30D Key telephone units.

Might have a go at fitting it next weekend

Still havent even looked at this exchange system.? It's all boxed up in the loft just taking up space.

Whats it likely to fetch on eBay guys..?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Depends, could be a fiver (what it's worth) or over a ton (well over what it's worth).

I've sold loads of bits of phones and systems on eBay, some go for silly money, some go for nothing. Just stick it on and see what happens.

could be a fiver (what it's worth)
If that's all it's worth It aint worth the hastle. Strange that the phones are still $264 as new, but the exchange and 2x phones are only worth

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

I think you have to be an LG fan to rate it, I'm not unfortunatelty.

As always with eBay though, if no-one wants it it's worth nothing, just depends on who wants what when you're selling.

Might be worth pitching it to a couple of recon phone retailers like Best4Systems and the like, might be a safer option than eBay.

could be a fiver (what it's worth)
If that's all it's worth It aint worth the hastle. Strange that the phones are still $264 as new, but the exchange and 2x phones are only worth

Archived