Security Installer Community

Help With Concept 6 Alarm System

steve6375

My Concept 6 alarm system is very old and we don't enable it as it is unreliable and goes off when we are away.

Recently we had a new front door fitted and the installers would not fit the reed relay switch and magnet back into the door frame.

They disconnected 3 wires on the switch. Thinking these could all be joined together (to simulate a closed door), I twisted them together.

I may have noticed a small spark when I did this (?????!!!!).

The LEDs in the keypad box now don't seem to work (no lights). Anyway, as we didn't use the alarm I did not try to fix it.

Last night (5am!) we had a power cut (my son spilt water on a mains socket and the distribution board tripped out).

I was woken by the outside alarm going off.

After mopping up the water, I switched on the mains again and the outside alarm stopped (thank god!).

The problem is now, that the tamper alarm on the keypad box is permanently squeaking and won't stop.

As the box seems dead, it won't respond to any keypresses (I know/knew the code).

I don't really want to have it repaired as it is very old.

So all I want to do is stop the squeaking (most immediate concern!) - it has a towel over it at the moment!

Secondly, I want to disable the alarm, so that if we have a power cut again, the neighbours don't complain.

I am an electronics engineer (computers/digital cctry) but have no experience with alarms.

Any help/advice welcome.

If the lead acid battery in the main box is dead - A ) how can I test it without setting off the external alarm? B ) How can I replace it without setting off the alarm?

If you suggest an engineer - how much would it cost (Oxford area)?

Thanks

Steve

All you can really do is get a ladder get up to the bell and diss it, you can then down power the rest.

If the battery failed a while ago its likely its burnt the charging circuit out so there wont be much you can do to save the panel.

As above.

Also might be a time to get some quotes if yoy still require an alarm. Then you can incorperate the shut down of the old item with install of the new.

I switched off the mains supply (tamper alarm still going) and disconnected the battery in the main unit which set off the external alarm. I then disconnected the mains 240V transformer wires from the main unit. After 10 minutes the external alarm went off. Peace! Hope this helps anyone else.

It will likely stay quiet for now, but as the battery in the siren runs down it could start up again, with squeaks and chirps.

Arfur

QFA diss the bell as I said earlier otherwise at silly a clock in the morning your neighbors will be putting a hose pipe through your letterbox

Archived