Security Installer Community

Wireless Alarm Advice

dandy

Hi, just want some advice on the cost and reliabilty of a wireless alarm, Im going to buy a powermax plus alarm for a 3 bed house any good or should i choose a different alarm? and want to get someone to fit it, what is a rough fitting cost and how long should it take? thanks

I personally like the Visonic Powermax plus stuff, however, you may be better off just getting someone to supply and install your system rather than buying the stuff yourself, as most reputable installers wont install stuff you supply, I wouldn't and the company I work for wouldn't

Here's a similar topic that popped up not so long ago

If you want to save some cash, why not have a go fitting it it yourself?

Hey Ho, Lets Go

Powermax is nice kit for its price and use.

Prices can vary from installer to installer I have seen it quoted for between £500.00 and £700.00 for your size of property.

As mentioned most will not fit "supplied kit", for several reasons. You could fit yourself as it is not too difficult and the instructions are pretty good with these.

If you need it for insurance purposes then it will need to be fitted by either a NSI or SSAIB company who then can issue a certificate for the works and offer a maintenance contract.

Well most companies advertise the fact they can do one of these in 4 hours ( Selling point). So if your handy with a drill and screwdriver, and use the plug top method of fitting I see no reason what you could not do the same, but allow a day to be on the safe side. The supplied contact, pirs, siren and remotes are pre-programmed with names so that takes care of half of the system, adding the extra pirs is fairly easy.

Remember this panel also speaks to you, and can be connected to a phone line to call you in the event of an activation or a problem.

I have personally fitted about 100 of these and like them a lot.

If you do purchase and have any problems please feel free to ask here, several of us can assist in any difficulties you may have.

Again it is a well respected little panel for its value and reliability.

I would go for the Powermax Complete over the Plus, mostly for the neat looks of the panel but, also the improved bellbox.

I agree with Oxo for the price wise you really can't go wrong.

Pete Bennett

Northern CCTV Services

T: 0845 838 7383

E: info@northern-cctv.co.uk

www.northern-cctv.co.uk

If you were looking to get an alarm company to install for you, and were hoping to save money by supplying the kit yourself, I wouldn't bother as the trade discounts alarm companies get are vast and even with their mark up their sale price to you will be about the same as you will get sourcing it from somewhere yourself.

If you want to install it yourself, then I'd recommend powering up the control unit of a plug top first and trying out the settings, learning on the devices etc with them all on the floor beside you before you put them up, so you don't end up running around the house like a crazy person trying to get it right afterwards.

• 2 months later...

With a pro installer you get the experience ti avoid mistakes. Anyone can fit an alarm system wired or wireless, but can anyone also fix it if faults occur?

Say you have an issue with the lounge pir, would your supplier take your word the pir is faulty? Pro onstaller sorts all those issues for you, and supplies warranty on site.

So, pays your money take your chances.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

With a pro installer you get the experience ti avoid mistakes. Anyone can fit an alarm system wired or wireless, but can anyone also fix it if faults occur?

Say you have an issue with the lounge pir, would your supplier take your word the pir is faulty? Pro onstaller sorts all those issues for you, and supplies warranty on site.

So, pays your money take your chances.

Arfur

You would hope.

Archived