Security Installer Community

Help Please!

rossibufc

i'm not part of the gal fanzine myself, no issue just have never used them.

reading above, i would do as Oxo says flylead rkps locally, if they work add the rio, then the rkp cable run/s with the keypads still by the panel. if any of that that causes a problem that would point to cable issues

i was taught i'd be a wise engineer if i always metered out all runs for shorts between cores, then between cores and a good earth and finally each core ressistance (by shorting out the far end and measureing from black to all colours which should be the same, finally red to yellow which again should be the same), and thats before you connected anything to the panel,

Arfur

(but i'd wager very few actually do it though :rolleyes: ) .

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Ross, when u get probs best to diss of all but what you need, so start with panel and keypad, add I'n other cables metering before hand as earlier, could be a h/r short on 2 cables away from the panel and earthing via the building, only shows when both connected to panel.

Arfur

Ok, I'll ask again.

Which cable?

You not into fault tracing then?

I give Ross as i do most others, the credit to be able understand concise instructions - seems I should, but I won't make an exception in your case,

so re-read the whole paragraph, and even you might

be able work it out.

Arfur

dont do gals, but as arf said i'd be inclined to diss all off panel & just try with 1 then 2 keypads etc.

when i said diss all (& after the week i've had) i mean the mains aswell, just run on fully charged battery. (check out induced ac thread :cry: )

if they work add the rio, then the rkp cable run/s with the keypads still by the panel. if any of that that causes a problem that would point to cable issues

How do you do that with the keypads at the panel? Unless you mean shorting spare cores and looping back!

i was taught I'd be a wise engineer if i always metered out all runs for shorts between cores, then between cores and a good earth and finally each core resistance (by shorting out the far end and measuring from black to all colours which should be the same, finally red to yellow which again should be the same), and that's before you connected anything to the panel,

Arfur

(but i'd wager very few actually do it though :rolleyes: ) .Errr that's a bit condescending, as any decent person would if coming to 2nd fix,also why mention colours, because you missed out the silver wrap and earth bonding strap Thus missing equi-potential.

Was that too picky?

Hope so because then OP knows all checks to make.

dont do gals, but as arf said i'd be inclined to diss all off panel & just try with 1 then 2 keypads etc.

Must have missed my posts then!

Sorry ox, i'll put it straight

dont do gals, but as arf AND OXO said i'd be inclined to diss all off panel & just try with 1 then 2 keypads etc.

when i said diss all LIKE OXO SAID (& after the week i've had) i mean the mains aswell, just run on fully charged battery. (check out induced ac thread :cry: )

:D

Reading between the lines is(Crazy Old) Arf saying, from panel fly lead into 1st then 2nd rkp then rio the finally add 485 (which goes nowhere) onto the system ?

I don't know, hence my question.

I asked because the statement, as written, is not logical.

Was that too picky?

Hope so because then OP knows all checks to make.

Can't copy posts again, did i not say black and ALL cores?

You'd be surprised how many just connect and hope, did I miss 2nd fix as not mentioned that as far I can see, but yes Defoe on and also tracer to be sure cable ID correct.

But why say I'm condescending to o/p, and then re state the obvious?

Arfur

Restating the obvious? No one had yet, including myself said to test the screen and Earth strip for voltages as well as the cores. Something even experienced people forget as it is not used in the circuits.

Also obvious if your used to Belden it has Red/Black/Green/White as 4 core. So where does the yellow come into play?

You missed 2nd fix obviously from the OP`s opening post.

TBH it seems you posted for the sake of it. If I see a genuine answer there is no reason to add anything apart from a QFA, unless your trying to up your posts.

I still cannot fathom out your method of testing the installed cable as you describe it. The obvious ( god that word again) thing to do is fly lead everything ignoring the installed cable. Then if all is well test the installed. As before I had immense problems on a G3-520 2 sab`s 4 power rios 2 rios 12 ( did i say 12, not going to back read the thread now)7 internal sounders and loads of circuits.

It turned out after testing as described the main PCB was faulty, as luck would have it the next 3 came from the same batch, so it got worse.

Then I discovered a inherent problem with the panel in general. To which several members on here were aghast at. The problem has been "engineered" out of the new panels and the manuals re-written.

Anyway I digress. Your statement is confusing on the testing. All I and others were doing was to try and clarify to make sure the OP had the right information.

No insult was intended.

Archived