Security Installer Community

Secure Control Panel Position

Guest cdyckes

Hmmmmm, enter via the front door, walk up the stairs, open panel lid and yes activate bells for a few seconds before i snip a couple of wires.
The front door has got 2 BS locks and a pair of hinge bolts fitted, with a door contact and a vibro sensor...

I dont' think so..... :P

How about a magnetic lock on the cupboard door housing the alarm activated via relay when the system is armed

Now that I'am in the house (c**p lock on front door) go to cupboard, open it with a size 8 foot :D (Nobody can see or hear me because I'am inside the house) Now snip a couple of wires...one dead alarm :whistle:

As Colin said you need to stop them getting into the house in the first place, once they are in your house its too late :!:

Regs

Paul

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Guest cdyckes

The physical security of the building is already at a high level. I just want the alarm to do it's job and sound long enough to make the intruder decide he'd be better off somewhere else and for the speech dialer to get a message out.

I'm not trying to be contentious here, but the poor old control panel seems to be the weakest link in the typical domestic installation system. Surely this has been addressed by the industry by now (or is it just another revenue stream for replacement panels ;) )

Colin

the poor old control panel seems to be the weakest link

Hi Colin

The control panel is 3rd on the list ;)

1st is the phone line (always cut the phone line!!!!)

2nd is the outside sounder (nick next doors ladders, 30sec later one dead sounder)

3rd the control panel (if the above is done, then you can put as many locks as you want on the panel, your house is still going to be robbed)

I think you need to be looking at the first two, before you look at the 3rd..

Paul

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Guest cdyckes

Hi Paul,

The phone line is by overhead wire to just under the ridge at the front of the house which is also where the bell box is situated so 1 and 2 could be accomplished with 1 trip up a ladder :( Bit obvious though in broad view of the street.

I'd already considered getting a GSM module to solve 1) (not sure if the Texecom one is available yet, and it's expensive) and taking previous advice to fit a second active bell box to solve 2).

I guess it's all down to deterence, linked to a short period of survivability

Thanks

Colin

Hi Paul,

The phone line is by overhead wire to just under the ridge at the front of the house which is also where the bell box is situated so 1 and 2 could be accomplished with 1 trip up a ladder  :( Bit obvious though in broad view of the street.

I'd already considered getting a GSM module to solve 1) (not sure if the Texecom one is available yet, and it's expensive) and taking previous advice to fit a second active bell box to solve 2).

I guess it's all down to deterence, linked to a short period of survivability

Thanks

Colin

18572[/snapback]

I have my phonle line fault setup, so if anyones up cutting the phone line, the alarm will go off before they are even in the house :D

Red Fox | Hosting

Affordable and Reliable UK Based Web Hosting

What value do you put on your security?

At the end of the day, if someone really wants to get into your house they will, you can only make it as hard as possible, there is a new sounder on the market that makes it hard for a person to stay in the room that it is fitted, but that might not be practical.

Redcare GSM or Dualcom will at least get the signal out if the system is set off, but you have to have the system professionally installed and maintained if you want a Police responce.

As I said previously the object is to detect them before they get as far as the panel and then getting the signal out. Once it does that you only have to worry about whether the Police have enough resources at the time of the activation.

I have my phonle line fault setup, so if anyones up cutting the phone line, the alarm will go off before they are even in the house

:o Wazza,Then what, the bell rings for 15/20 minutes, silences on timer and then...........................nothing :!: Local annunciation of a phone line fault is no good unless you are at home!!

Colin.

when the house is hit by lightning and the panel crashes in alarm condition the mag lock is still energised so you have to kick the door in the get to the panel to power it down to reset the thing .. mmmm just a thought. i put my panel under the stairs cupboard and the put 50 ton of kids toys etc infront of it an intruder would be lucky to find it with all the **** in my cupboard.

No matter how secure or self reliant the alarm is, you will never get police response.

Get a proper system and get it monitored, it could have been fitted by now!

You say it is obvious to see someone cutting the phone line but people really do not care about things now, here is an example;

We were doing a take over and had a brand new van, so new that we had not had it sign written as the job was urgent.

We down powered the existing system and proceded to remove the old siren, it was sounding and was also seized and rusted and had to be 'persuaded' off with a hammer, this was on a busy cul de sac and no-one questioned me at all!

Monitoring is the best way to go, redcare or dual com of course because you need to protect that phone line.

Paul

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

I have my phonle line fault setup, so if anyones up cutting the phone line, the alarm will go off before they are even in the house

:o Wazza,Then what, the bell rings for 15/20 minutes, silences on timer and then...........................nothing :!: Local annunciation of a phone line fault is no good unless you are at home!!

Colin.

18578[/snapback]

I have three other members of family living on the street :rolleyes:

Red Fox | Hosting

Affordable and Reliable UK Based Web Hosting

Archived