Security Installer Community

Secure Control Panel Position

Guest cdyckes

Guest cdyckes

I think the decent lock on a cupboard door suggestion maybe the answer. Makes it a real bugger to get at the coats in the cupboard mind you :D

Colin

personally i put the control box in the most convenient and secure location for the wiring.

in the majority of my recent installs this has been in the (connected to house) garage. the garage door is contacted so it is in a protected area, you can run to front and rear doors, + keypad from within garage and usually via garage roofspace to 1st floor for sensors in lounge,dining, and bedrooms and bell etc.

that way all cables can be put in trunking/conduit within garage area.

usually fusebox is within garage as well so that makes power supply easy as well.

on average i can do a 3 bed house within 1 day by myself using this wiring method.

if no garage then the airing cupboard on the landing is always a good option but be aware of the heat within the cupboard - its not called a airing cupboard for nothing! - having said that my 9800 has been in my bedroom airing cupbard for the last 15 years and battery has,nt cooked yet!!(i have replaced it 3 times though for normal time relpacement reasons though)

as for "moving a couple of wires to silence bell" sorry but thats a load of ****.

even if you get to the c/u you will activate the alarm as soon as you take cover off if you hav,nt activated it by getting to the c/u in first place!

if you try interferring with the external bell/sounder first you will activate it in the cover ie the SAB circuit.

just make sure that you put it in a location withgin a protected area so as no one can get to it without activating the alarm - but make sure you can still cable the installation properly.

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Hmmmmm, enter via the front door, walk up the stairs, open panel lid and yes activate bells for a few seconds before i snip a couple of wires.

Sorry but silent alarm. How long did that take..?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest cdyckes

Yes, I don't think anyone is going to take any notice of an alarm that rings for even a minute or two and then goes silent, hence my original question.

The only 'monitoring' I'm having is a speech dialer. Sorry, but one of the reasons for this install is to be self-reliant.

Have thought of one solution. How about a magnetic lock on the cupboard door housing the alarm activated via relay when the system is armed :D . If I can find a sensible source cheaper than RS then I might even consider it.

Colin

Guest Guest

If youve got to go to that extent just to protect the panel, you might be better to look at the perimeter security of the property, doors,windows etc. and try to stop them getting in the first place, physical security, perimeter alarm etc.

Yes, I don't think anyone is going to take any notice of an alarm that rings for even a minute or two and then goes silent, hence my original question.

The only 'monitoring' I'm having is a speech dialer. Sorry, but one of the reasons for this install is to be self-reliant.

Have thought of one solution. How about a magnetic lock on the cupboard door housing the alarm activated via relay when the system is armedĀ  :D . If I can find a sensible source cheaper than RS then I might even consider it.

Colin

18525[/snapback]

You can pick up the maglocks cheap on ebay sometimes... I might get one for my office :D

Red Fox | Hosting

Affordable and Reliable UK Based Web Hosting

Guest cdyckes

Just ordered an ASEC 10020 maglock. That should solve my problem I think :w00t:

Thanks to everyone for their input

Colin

Archived