Security Installer Community

24Volt Door Lock Problem

Bibbage

Hi. I was called to a job yesterday where there were two doors which were not locking consistently. They are 24v and are locked when voltage is applied, controlled by a key pad.

I removed the first one and it was the type that has a small brass screw with a spring behind it and 3 little pieces of rod, 2 small and 1 larger.

I removed the brass screw and the spring and rods fell out. I managed to get it all back together and with a little lubrication the lock worked fine. The second one I just lubricated it and it worked ok, job done or so I thought.

Anyway later on I got a call saying that the first one I looked at was now locked permanently and could not be released. The thing is did I put it back together correctly? I put the longer rod in first followed by the 2 shorter ones and then the spring and brass screw.

I'm hoping that someone will recognise the lock from my description and be able to advise me.

Thanks in advance.

Hi. I was called to a job yesterday where there were two doors which were not locking consistently. They are 24v and are locked when voltage is applied, controlled by a key pad.

I removed the first one and it was the type that has a small brass screw with a spring behind it and 3 little pieces of rod, 2 small and 1 larger.

I removed the brass screw and the spring and rods fell out. I managed to get it all back together and with a little lubrication the lock worked fine. The second one I just lubricated it and it worked ok, job done or so I thought.

Anyway later on I got a call saying that the first one I looked at was now locked permanently and could not be released. The thing is did I put it back together correctly? I put the longer rod in first followed by the 2 shorter ones and then the spring and brass screw.

I'm hoping that someone will recognise the lock from my description and be able to advise me.

Thanks in advance.

Only you know exactly what you did - or didn't do.

Did you check the relays were working correctly, Voltage? etc

Key pads and voltage were fine, just need someone who knows the type of lock I'm describing.

You might want to ask on locksmith forum if it was the actual lock you took apart and not the strike.

Copy the pins from the other lock, then you'll know which way they go in.

Yes, that's my next move, I thought I might be able to find out without risking the other lock, the spring and rods are pretty and can get lost!

I have attached a photo of the sort of thing I'm describing, it's not this make though!

Yes, that's my next move, I thought I might be able to find out without risking the other lock, the spring and rods are pretty and can get lost!

I have attached a photo of the sort of thing I'm describing, it's not this make though!

Should have said "pretty small"

post-9665-025980100 1282392742_thumb.jpg

looks like adams rite to me, 7100 series maybe.

You might be able to download a installation sheet from norbains website

Never done any good lubeing them, once they play up best to swap them, not cheap.

Fault could be dodgy relays in the keypads though by the description. If it was working when you left it, the pins must be in the right order mustnt they ?

looks like adams rite to me, 7100 series maybe.

You might be able to download a installation sheet from norbains website

Never done any good lubeing them, once they play up best to swap them, not cheap.

Fault could be dodgy relays in the keypads though by the description. If it was working when you left it, the pins must be in the right order mustnt they ?

Apparently it's not the model in the photo.

Agreed, very odd for two strikes to both fail with same fault.

Archived