Security Installer Community

Which Panel?

bottom end id say honeywell accenta, euro mini or scantronic 9651.

Euro mini probably the best looking, 9651 most features, accenta cheapest.

The Scantronic 9651 c/w LCD prox keypad looks sharp so thanks for the pointer

Is this equipment easy to fit/programme?

Can a communicator be added for remote access or not? (either way I wont do it initially but it would be nice to have the option if required) To begin with it will be connected to a Texecom speech + text dialler

The pricing on this panel is odd, Security Warehouse for example list it complete with 9943 LCD prox keypad for £59.75 + VAT, (quite reasonable) however an additional 9943 prox keypad will cost £58.75 + VAT......! So does it only cost Scantronic £1 to make the panel? :P

if there is poor security on the dial in system then its possible someone could dial in and disarm. One way to prevent thios is to only allow remote access when the system is unset. Also you need customer permission to access. Difficult for them to authorise it when its set etc.

Also with the recent laptop thefts, if the security is only provided on one machine (ie that machine is allows to connect and only that machine) if that machine is compromised or lost etc, then anyone with that access to that machine could access anyones system.

Needs care and consideration when implimenting thats all.

Tha manufactures heavily discount the panel and keypad kits and i assume hope to make it back on additional peripherals. The bottom end panels (ie 9651 euro mini etc) wont allow remote access. I think the cheapest panel that does is the mdt.

But you need to check on availability of software. Some manufactures charge £200-500 for the software as its designed to handle hundreds of systems.

There is a modern trend changing this as people want access to their own systems etc.

Texecom and visonic probably lead the way with this and their software. Also scantronic have a version of the ion with web server support etc.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

if there is poor security on the dial in system then its possible someone could dial in and disarm. One way to prevent thios is to only allow remote access when the system is unset. Also you need customer permission to access. Difficult for them to authorise it when its set etc.

Also with the recent laptop thefts, if the security is only provided on one machine (ie that machine is allows to connect and only that machine) if that machine is compromised or lost etc, then anyone with that access to that machine could access anyones system.

Tha manufactures heavily discount the panel and keypad kits and i assume hope to make it back on additional peripherals. The bottom end panels (ie 9651 euro mini etc) wont allow remote access. I think the cheapest panel that does is the mdt.

But you need to check on availability of software. Some manufactures charge £200-500 for the software as its designed to handle hundreds of systems.

There is a modern trend changing this as people want access to their own systems etc.

Texecom and visonic probably lead the way with this and their software. Also scantronic have a version of the ion with web server support etc.

tbh and imho that panel would not be used for such high risk in a the RA, as using that panel in a situation that would attract an intruder of that calibre of knowledge and ability would be simply daft.

i have UDL software for the kit i use, on the smaller system i rarely use it. often to much faffing about and takes to long to set it up. so why go through that when i can program on site far faster?

there is a danger if you access the panel and while doing so loose connection, which can 'hang' some panels especially if your are uploading new settings when it happens and can leave sirens sounding worse case scenario.

while on the surface, remote access may seem attractive to the novice, btbph UDL software is best suited and left to the very experienced bench orientated engineer, who knows fully what he/she/it is doing, anything less your courting with real dangers. it only takes you to check the wrong box and not notice, for a disaster to happen at some date.

put in simple terms, if you had the all singing all dancing analyser for your own car - could you read the manual and improve/correct on the set programs performance already in the cars on-board computers profile?

Arfur.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Good point about the possible remote access pitfalls :'(

MDT actually allow free remote access software downloads, its a shame they couldnt get their act together because they have some good ideas (Red 4 Bed is an excellent concept)

You mentioned the Scantronic ion and I noticed whilst browsing somewhere earlier that someone appeared to be controlling one of these with an Iphone - is this possible? Are there any systems that can be controlled via an Iphone? (for example) Or is it a case that this could be afflicted by the same remote access issues that we discussed earlier?

tbh and imho that panel would not be used for such high risk in a the RA, as using that panel in a situation that would attract an intruder of that calibre of knowledge and ability would be simply daft.

i have UDL software for the kit i use, on the smaller system i rarely use it. often to much faffing about and takes to long to set it up. so why go through that when i can program on site far faster?

there is a danger if you access the panel and while doing so loose connection, which can 'hang' some panels especially if your are uploading new settings when it happens and can leave sirens sounding worse case scenario.

while on the surface, remote access may seem attractive to the novice, btbph UDL software is best suited and left to the very experienced bench orientated engineer, who knows fully what he/she/it is doing, anything less your courting with real dangers. it only takes you to check the wrong box and not notice, for a disaster to happen at some date.

put in simple terms, if you had the all singing all dancing analyser for your own car - could you read the manual and improve/correct on the set programs performance already in the cars on-board computers profile?

Arfur.

So theres a chance that if connection is lost mid operation whilst remote accessing the panel could be "bricked"? :'(

I do actually have the latest analysis software for my car and van - I like a good tinker...... B)

So theres a chance that if connection is lost mid operation whilst remote accessing the panel could be "bricked"?

No they handle loss of comms etc. Its not a firmware update so comms loss isnt a problem

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

No they handle loss of comms etc. Its not a firmware update so comms loss isnt a problem

Fair enough, I`ve gone right off the idea anyhow with all the negativity regarding it

So it looks like the Scantronic - Is it easy to set up/programme?

I notice that there are 4 "A B C D" buttons on the top of the keypads, I assume these are for full/part set? How does full/part set work with prox tags? Do you offer up the tag and then select "part" or "full" by pressing "A" or "B"? (I`m new to prox tags)

I forgot to ask, I assume Scantronic are a solid company? ie should I need support/back up or additional peripherals in the future theres a good chance they`ll still be around?

I got the impression that MDT were on shakey ground and that (along with their major supply issues) was one of the reasons they didnt get the nod....... :'(

Archived