Security Installer Community

Seeking Advice For Wirefree Cctv Solution

BBSS

1st off, do you have mains power at the camera location?

if so, while dedicated IP cameras have reduced in price, you could use a very small Gtec or SystemQ Alien DVR simply as a remote web server, and then you will have a vast range of cameras from which to choose from, even PTZ's.

views are then accessed via internet over an ADSL provider (using DYNDDNS instead of a fixed IP).

not over sure about the dongle idea in this scenario. you would needto do the sums as with a dongle, the ongoing data costs and 'fair usage' data capping (if constantly viewed) might be an issue, and well above the costs of a regular BT line rental and ADSL IP costs, but perhaps Paul will enlighten us?

Arfur

Do you mean a DynDNS service?

Has anyone used this method before? I might need to do it on the next install.

This will do it if not they do a repeater kit, we have three of these set up on a marina on pontoons the only time we lose picture is when a high sided vehicle drives past the receiver at the office building which is not very often. Compared to the cheap stuff this is much better and all we will use now, the sell it at ADI global too

http://www.melsecuresystems.co.uk/visualiser--short-range-wireless-video-link

Oxford you need to apply for trade status on this forum, you are obviously knowledgeable in this industry, and you would benefit from the trade areas

We have set up recorders using the usb dongles, and we have also set up DVRs using a DynDNS service but not a usb with a DynDNS service, but in theory Afur is right

There is a router available with a gsm sim fixed ip that was discussed on Versigo (another trade only forum) Im not sure if the project is finished as the chap said he will let us know how he got on.

yes, and there are other free providers.

DynDns basic service is free, you just have to log in every so often to keep it 'active', and you can convert later to a paid subscription service.

while having a fixed IP is always best, if the client is on Virgin cable you can't have a FIP, or theydon't want to switch ADSL service, once you get the hang of it DynDns and port forwarding routers (BT "wire is a pig so swap to a Netgear Router) )it is very simple to use.

tbh by a cheapo DVR with a built in web server and mess about indoors 1st just to get the hang of it, if you need any help just PM me, i might even run a blog onhow to do it

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

There is mains power where the camera is going to be mounted but no data between the main house and the outbuilding so wireless is key.

I'll look into the posted suggestions.

Regards

There is mains power where the camera is going to be mounted but no data between the main house and the outbuilding so wireless is key.

Regards

Mel also have a long range Microwave kit, they are very helpful on the phone, I explained my project and they told me what I needed and what I would need if the first solution doesnt work, I then did my quote based on the first kit suggested (Which worked) with a footnote that there was no guarantee of it working and if it didnt they would need option 2 an extra £xxx, customer then new what they were in for worse case scenario. Compared to Cop and System Q ( Good stuff but short range) it is expensive but it does work

Mel also have a long range Microwave kit, they are very helpful on the phone, I explained my project and they told me what I needed and what I would need if the first solution doesnt work, I then did my quote based on the first kit suggested (Which worked) with a footnote that there was no guarantee of it working and if it didnt they would need option 2 an extra £xxx, customer then new what they were in for worse case scenario. Compared to Cop and System Q ( Good stuff but short range) it is expensive but it does work

Thank you for that advice. I'll look up some contact details

Can you get a clear view of what you want the camera to look at from the house? If so, fit the camera on the house and invest in a decent lens and zoom it in till you get the desired image and fit the i/r on the out building or wherever the closest power is.

Can you get a clear view of what you want the camera to look at from the house? If so, fit the camera on the house and invest in a decent lens and zoom it in till you get the desired image and fit the i/r on the out building or wherever the closest power is.

Afraid not. You enter up the driveway from the south and the house is to the west. The outbuilding is kind of south/west with the drive that eventually meets the house just in front of it

Regards

is fitting its own chepy DVR in the outbuilding and linking over his network via Wi Fi using a Belkin WI Fi access point not an option?

if he already has WiFi in the home, and your phone has it i'd try to 'see' his network from the building to give you some idea of viability (client would need to make his WiFi access point viewable to do this).

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived