Security Installer Community

Under Water Cameras

daubs8

I need to spec some underwater cameras. The job in question is for a Valve manufacturing company who test their valves in a water tank to check for leaks. Thes valves are big! They currently have a couple of cameras trained on the surface to watch for bubbles which works but they want to be more accurate and view the leaks at source.

The tank is 2 metres cube square stainless and will be filled with totally clear water. The cameras will be mounted on purpose made brackets in each corner at a depth of around 3 foot. There may also be a requirement for zoom controlled by the software. Does anybody have experience of good underwater cameras? Also, what sort of lighting would be required? Strange request I know but any advice appreciated?

I need to spec some underwater cameras. The job in question is for a Valve manufacturing company who test their valves in a water tank to check for leaks. Thes valves are big! They currently have a couple of cameras trained on the surface to watch for bubbles which works but they want to be more accurate and view the leaks at source.

The tank is 2 metres cube square stainless and will be filled with totally clear water. The cameras will be mounted on purpose made brackets in each corner at a depth of around 3 foot. There may also be a requirement for zoom controlled by the software. Does anybody have experience of good underwater cameras? Also, what sort of lighting would be required? Strange request I know but any advice appreciated?

Contact Bosch, their metal mickeys have been installed in swimming pools, koi ponds, etc.

Just hope you're customer's got a large budget.

Contact Bosch, their metal mickeys have been installed in swimming pools, koi ponds, etc.

Just hope you're customer's got a large budget.

lol, yeah seen them! Found some half decent ones but the IR range is only 'up to 60cm'. I would probably need a metre to be on safe side. Struggled on google!

daubs8,

If the company manufactures valves, is there any possibility they'd make up some sealed housings for you ...?

The last time I had to supply cameras for an underwater application, it was for testing concrete casting in a 12 metre deep tank.

At the time, I was using fairly large cameras, which were sealed into a housing made up of plastic pipe with end caps that were sealed on using a solvent glue. The window was glued in using a silicone rubber compound.

If the clients tank is only a metre or two deep then the water pressure shouldn't be a problem; you just need to make sure that the casework is well sealed, and any cables can be taken out using a standard length of sealed hose (anything that is normally designed for keeping water in, is often just as effective at keeping water out ;) ).

Hi,

Depending on the budget that is available, there are a few options. You can get submersable PTZ/Dome systems now (as outlined above) but they will set you back an arm and a leg! Or you could fabricate a housing from milled alluminium or somthing like that (again not to cheap). Or you could look for a fixed bullet style. We (genie) do a IP68 Rated bullet Camera, unfortunatly its fixed lens so we cant do the zoom feature but we have used this camera for simular installs. (and a few random ones, monitoring Koi and frogs!!!!). You will need a fairly decent lighting level in the tank other than that there shouldnt be any problems.

PM if you need any further details on the camera.

cheers

Archived