Security Installer Community

Texecom Md Hits Out At Home Office Moves

This comes from Jaqui Smith's "Burglary Pack" idea. You need to phone a number, order a "burglary Pack" and they will send as part of this, a voucher for "home security supplies" from a major DIY retailer.

Allegedly, it was intended to be used as part payment against things such as locks and bolts in the main.

As many well intended DIYers have found, to their cost, the DIY route, especially through B&Q specials, often leaves more problems than it solves.

We all know, in this forum, that good intruder alarm, CCTV, or Access control/door entry, take skills not normally found in your average DIYer, no matter how competent. There is a skill in design, in knowing the standards, in knowing how to apply them, and ultimately in knowing how to install properly the well designed, standards compliant system. The other flip on this coin is that we all understand the need for maintenance too.

None of this, however, gets transmitted across in the DIY arena - instead finding that systems install is easy, fit it and forget it, press a simple button, and see the intruders run. If only.

Whilst it is annoying that the government, and the retail warehouses all see our industry as easy pickings, by the same token, nobody would allow a new motorist out in a car on their own, without first proving they're competent to drive it safely (and even that fails routinely). We also have a part to play in allowing this to happen, collectively, as an industry.

Our attempts generally, as with any other aspect of our business, to train and educate are abysmal. Some, typically smaller, companies excel at educating and informing customers, new and old. Others fail miserably. The point is, I think, that we as an industry could do a lot more to promote our services - again, caveated by the fact that many companies do - it just isn't consistent.

I don't think the offering of a voucher in itself will make much of a dent in the industry - it's hard enough to find the details on the Home Office site - but the whole notion that Mr Smith, Jones, or whomever, can simply pick up a kit for intruder, CCTV, or such and "fit n forget" is contentious at best.

However, what alternatives do the government have, in an industry with only self regulation, faced with the need to increase safety and security awareness, with limited resources, and faced also with an industry that does little (as a whole, not as a specific) to promote fully the need to have a professional, skilled, and competent installer?

Controversial view? Maybe, but the evidence is there.

Bill.

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

They have been doing this with approved firms for years, two areas of Oldham get this done, anyone can have an approved alarm installed [even if they own the home] FOC.

Then there is rochdale council who own their own SSAIB Firm and install monitored alarms in every council house and building FOC.

Guest RJBsec
Then there is rochdale council who own their own SSAIB Firm and install monitored alarms in every council house and building FOC.

Sucks, but at least it's an effort to do it properly.

I must admit I'm getting cheesed off with the lack of support for a small business, whether it be a small self employed installer, or high street shop, both trying their best day in day out, to offer a good service/products - and the lack of support for us from them PR@TTS( read gov't ) in charge. They'll give help to music-cafes ant the like but not help the existing strugglers.

Yet another "Good" idea but personally, yet another hair brained scheme to solve a problem......(I must think of an idea to make my name!?)

I'm a small installer, and have worked for years to installation standards.

Why can't these muppets ask businesses like us whether we would like to get involved in a scheme or not, after all they know where we are when it comes to NI, VAT, Personal Tax etc.

I would quite happily accept a "voucher" if the systems were in place to "cash-em-in". It would build a local community supprted by a local engineer / company..

Apologies for the rant..I feel better now.

I must admit I'm getting cheesed off with the lack of support for a small business, whether it be a small self employed installer, or high street shop, both trying their best day in day out, to offer a good service/products - and the lack of support for us from them PR@TTS( read gov't ) in charge. They'll give help to music-cafes ant the like but not help the existing strugglers.

Yet another "Good" idea but personally, yet another hair brained scheme to solve a problem......(I must think of an idea to make my name!?)

I'm a small installer, and have worked for years to installation standards.

Why can't these muppets ask businesses like us whether we would like to get involved in a scheme or not, after all they know where we are when it comes to NI, VAT, Personal Tax etc.

I would quite happily accept a "voucher" if the systems were in place to "cash-em-in". It would build a local community supprted by a local engineer / company..

Apologies for the rant..I feel better now.

I feel the same as you but the voucher will probbs only be worth maybe

!

Archived