Security Installer Community

Gardtec 800 Kypad <x> Tamper Check

Adrian2009

It sees to me that there is a cable under the carpet/floorboards that is damaged. It's being disturbed when you're walking about, causing a short circuit, blowing a fuse etc etc

The system has not been serviced for at least 3years+, there is a big part of your problem with the panel & outside sounder batteries.

Disconnecting this & that when you don't know the consequences only causes more problems and and even more frustration.

Alarm systems have anti tampering facilities, unless you know what you are doing things will only get worse

You are in need of an alarm engineer, no more, no less.

Good luck

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Guest RJBsec

If a system is not properly maintained it isn't going to provide the protection you expect.

This is a classic example of the results of not having a system serviced - inconvenience (and danger!) to everyone associated with it, including the neighbours.

First let me say thank you to everyone for the prompt responses.

As I mentioned earlier the control panel seemed to react badly to vibrations. If I walked past it the vibrations from the floor appeared to cause the display to start scrolling random characters and it would omit the occassional beep.

Shortly after my last post (10:30ish) my wife came home and the control panel decided to go haywire again. After about a minute of beeping and random characters being displayed the alarm went off again. Unfortunately this time the control panel simply wouldn't accept our User code and allow it to be turned off. When the random characters were scrolling the code doesn't seem to be accepted.

Obviously this was a bit of a problem.

As I didn't appear to have many options I opened and closed the control panel to check if the tamper spring or keypad was out of alignment, but to no avail.

My wife being slightly less tolerant of the situation than I decided more decisive action was required and decided that as we can't get it turn off we might as well disconnect the bell (the one inside the house - not the one outside). This turned out to be worringly simple to open up and pull out the wires - silence followed. It seems only the internal bell had been ringng not the external one, the control panel was still not accepting our code, displaying random characters and omitting fairly quiet beeps but we thought we could probably live with that.

Of course it was not to be that simple as about 30 seconds later the external bell triggered. Seeing that we'd gone this far (and the keypad was still not working) I decided we might as well go all the way. So turned all the power off to the house, opened up the main control unit, disconnected the mains supply and the backup battery from the unit. Crossed my fingers and then about 10 seconds later silence...

... though it solved the problem I did think turning off the alarm was just a little too easy. It really shouldn't be you know. I had read earlier in the day that doing the above would disable the alarm but my understanding was that the alarm should still continue for about 20 mins after you did. In this case that didn't happen at all.

We decided to keep the power to the house off until the morning incase there was a seperate mains power supply to the bell. It was quite late and we felt our neighbours had been disturbed enough. As it happened there wasn't.

Chexsec - I have to admit I don't know if the keypad is LED or LCD, I don't remember seeing the EN menu option but I had read on one of the Gardtec pdfs that this would be something to look out for (it may not have been applicable to my model though). I never did have the chance to find out if the option existed or not. In terms of water or paint in the keypad it's unlikely simply because the room being painted was on the opposite side of the house on a different floor and before it first went off no-one had touched it for a while - I think it may simply be coincidence and one of the components within the unit failed.

So anyway thanks again to everyone that helped.

You have an LCD keypad, if you had an LED keypad it would't diplay "Keypad Tamper Check", the diplay is made up of 7 segment red LEDs on an LED keypad and it wouldn't actually show readable text.

It definately sounds like a damaged cable between keypad and main control unit especially as it seems to play up when you walk around.

The external sounder should have activated when you disabled the mains and diconnected the battery, sounds like your battery (in the external sounder) is shot and as others have said a service is well overdue.

If you don't intend to use the system get it disconnected professionally, that way it won't cause any further problems but you can still get it re-instated at a later date if your needs change.

• 2 years later...

hi I have a problem with a gtag keypad and reader which will not accept a tag any ideas

If its been down powered it will forget them you have to reprogram them again. But there has been the odd one or two that stop reading completely. But equally tags stop working too

If its been down powered it will forget them you have to reprogram them again. But there has been the odd one or two that stop reading completely. But equally tags stop working too

I'm sure its in the NVM these days.

• 1 year later...

Archived