Security Installer Community

I Am Installing A Fire Alarm System

Agreed entirely.

I would also add that the "council" in question needs it's "smart ar*e" kicking too, if it is approving and allowing the installation of an arbitary fire detection and alarm system without regard to the implications of that installation.

It is a requirement under Decent Homes legislation for the council to provide its stakeholders (tenants in plain English) with evidence that they have selected not only the best value tender from those received for works, but that they have also paid regard to competence, training, and expertise of the chosen supplier. This also means that they have to have a clear and properly designed system specification in place, against which the companies have tendered.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that any council or local authority in the UK would simply phone up the local sparks and suggest the nip along to install a fire alarm in the flats......without first having established presicely what they want, what the risks are, how they justify the installation of a fire alarm, and much more. Said risk assessment would very clearly identify not only the need and grade requirement, but also the obstacles faced by the system - which are faced, by the way, in every council owned block of flats the length and breadth of the UK.

My advice, therefore, would be to get your firm to go straight back to the council in question, and ask them for a clear brief on what they want installed and why - you (or your firm) seriously need to mitigate your own risk - because, as Alarm Guard indicated, the implications of getting it wrong, especially if you know there are vulnerable (yes, drunk can mean vulnerable) residents who will be affected by these decisions. I would also ask as a minimum for a certified design approval, and if you have any doubt at all about the design, get the local Fire Officer involved pronto.

Final piece of advice - don't bad mouth people who are trying to help you.

Bill.

Please take this the right way.

If you are asking these questions ..... you should not be designing this alarm. You may well be the best guy in the country at installing, but designing the system is a different skill set and if it is wrong people could die.

.... nothing else to say .

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

Wash your mouth out!

I'm now spending the day in bed with the lurgie so I must have said R****i once too often! :cold2:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

hopefully that isn't a misspelled lurchio..

I don't think he'll even know who Lurch is ..... He's another one who had his membership cancelled

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

I don't think he'll even know who Lurch is ..... He's another one who had his membership cancelled

i guess he didn't but the joke was only for old farts

as it is recession going on (as i have heard) now i can't afford too many ppl to understand my yokelling..

i guess he didn't but the joke was only for old farts

as it is recession going on (as i have heard) now i can't afford too many ppl to understand my yokelling..

I do remember 'Lurch' as it happens, argued the toss about everything! :banned:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

I do remember 'Lurch' as it happens, argued the toss about everything! :banned:

I'll give him your best wishes shall I .. B)

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Archived