Security Installer Community

Texecom Internal Speaker & Pir Problem

psc916

On our upstairs landing I intend to put a Texecom RF360 ceiling mounted PIR to cover the area at the top of the stairs. As our living room, kitchen etc are upstairs & bedrooms downstairs (to make the most of our views) I also would like to put an internal extension speaker up on the landing so we can hear when any of the 3 external doors downstairs are opened, as I will set their sensors to chime.

I only have one cable left to this area upstairs. Is there any way of using this 6-core cable or splitting it to have both a speaker & PIR or will I have to decide on one or the other ? I intend for all PIR's in the house to be wired EOL. I will be using a Texecom Premier 48 control panel.

Your help & advice as always is greatly appreciated.

It's not good practice to pair speakers with another device in the same cable. I'm not saying it will definately give problems, but idealy you want to iron out as many things that could cause problems as you can when you fit the system.

You may be surprised at the volume of the speaker. You will probably get away with fitting it downstairs as you should still be able to hear it upstairs.

Failing that, you could fit an 8 zone expander upstairs. That way you can utilise the existing cable to supply the expander, then you have space for 8 detectors and a speaker output too. Will certainly make any additions upstairs much easier in the future and is the best way of acheiving what you want in my opinion.

Curious as to why you went for the 360?

Trade Member

It's not good practice to pair speakers with another device in the same cable. I'm not saying it will definately give problems, but idealy you want to iron out as many things that could cause problems as you can when you fit the system.

You may be surprised at the volume of the speaker. You will probably get away with fitting it downstairs as you should still be able to hear it upstairs.

Failing that, you could fit an 8 zone expander upstairs. That way you can utilise the existing cable to supply the expander, then you have space for 8 detectors and a speaker output too. Will certainly make any additions upstairs much easier in the future and is the best way of acheiving what you want in my opinion.

Curious as to why you went for the 360?

Thanks for your advice, went for the 360 as the landing is an L-shape and only cables to the upstairs are 1 for a control panel & 1 for PIR. Thought the 360 would be best to cover that shape of area where the 2 'corridors' connect at the top of the stairs.

As for using an 8 zone extender panel, I will be using 1 already next to the control panel downstairs, but as I'm using a Premier 48 panel I assume there will be no issues with using another upstairs as you suggested. If so that may well have sorted my problem ?

Fair enough, I would recommend you take a look at the Optex range of 360 PIR's. I have had problems with the Texecom ones in the past.

The Premier 48 will take up to 6 expanders, so you've still got plenty of room to expand.

Could you get a cable from your speaker to the upstairs control panel? If so, I believe some/all of the Texecom Premier keypads have a speaker output built in.

Trade Member

As Antinode says it isn't good practice to mix sounders and detectors on the same cable.

Having said that it is a fairly common practice and unlikely to cause problems but, again as Antinode says, better to eliminate any potential problems from the outset if possible.

Guest old-hand

I would not worry too much with a speaker and detector. However NEVER mix it with data, such as expanders/nodes/keypads ect.

cheers

There is a keypad wired for in the vacinity where I would want a speaker. Are you saying that I can take a new feed for the spaeker from the keypad? Will the speaker then be able to be programmed to go off when any door contacts are openned downstairs (that will be wired back to the main control panel?

When you say there is a cable for the control panel, do you mean the keypad? If so you have specced large text keypads and they can have a speaker run from their speaker output and 12v.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest old-hand
There is a keypad wired for in the vacinity where I would want a speaker. Are you saying that I can take a new feed for the spaeker from the keypad? Will the speaker then be able to be programmed to go off when any door contacts are openned downstairs (that will be wired back to the main control panel?

As long as the RKP has a dedicated speaker output then yes, it would do as you wish.

PS

It would also mimic the speaker downstairs, so if you have a upstairs RKP you may not need an additional speaker anyway.

Archived